five » friends

"Roasted bird?"

"Roasted bird?"

Raven Reyes snickered when she saw me picking at the meat in my plate, a terrified expression on my face. I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to try and eat this for dinner; starving sounded more appealing. As much as I hated the Mountain Men, I had to admit, their food was delicious. And edible.

"Eat it," she encouraged, a smile playing on her lips as she pushed my plate closer to me. "I promise, it's nice."

I bit my lower lip, deciding to stop inspecting the brown meat in my plate. I looked up to see Raven sitting before me, an excited smile directed my way. The mechanic and I had officially become friends since she showed me where I was going to be sleeping from now on. She volunteered and Abby obviously trusted her, so she showed me around the Ark, and also my room, which happened to be a few doors down from hers. The whole of Arkadia was an amazing place, and even though they were still developing everything, it all looked awesome.

I had discovered that she was a mechanical engineer, and she had stuck up for me without even knowing me because she knew how tough the others could be, and they were all on edge ever since landing on Earth. She knew how it felt to be the odd one, or the 'one who didn't fit in' as she liked to put it. I learnt that she got shot by Murphy, and because of that, it resulted in her to lose feeling in one of her legs, making her reliant upon a cast. I admired her for her strength and bravery because in a world like this, it must have been difficult to cope, but she managed it, and that took guts.

Now, we were sat at a bench, near a large fire that was set up in the centre, where food was being cooked. It seemed like everyone was outside on this warm night, and I noticed a few of them giving me looks, obviously wanting to know more about me, but afraid to approach. So, I was sat with Raven, about to try this roasted bird because she told me to.

"If I die, this is on you," I half-joked, before using my fork to break a bit of the meat off. I placed it into my mouth and allowed the roasted flavour to spread around my mouth. It wasn't better than the food I was used to, but it wasn't terrible either.

"Not bad, is it?" she asked in a cocky manner, obviously knowing what I would say.

I rolled my eyes playfully, earning laughter from herself. "Whatever," I mumbled.

After laughing at me, we both dug into our small meals, appreciating the silence that surrounded us. However, I soon realised that I wanted to know more about the brunette before me. More about her, not the Sky People. She had already told me enough of that.

"How did you know you wanted to be an engineer, Raven?" I asked with genuine interest, meeting the glowing eyes of hers. The yellow light emitted from the fire was lighting up her face, making it appear as if her eyes and skin were golden.

She swallowed whatever she was eating and thought about it for a second. "I don't know. I guess I always had an interest in fixing things. Making things right again. It just seemed right. Still does."