fifteen » chance

The following morning, after breakfast, I found myself on my way to Deka's stall, where I vaguely remembered her working at

The following morning, after breakfast, I found myself on my way to Deka's stall, where I vaguely remembered her working at. If memory served right, she sold small knick-knacks and jewellery to other grounders as a living. Q and I were heading to her stall now and surprisingly, he offered to give me some distance as I attempted to speak to the other grounder. I was grateful to say the least.

"I won't be more than a shout away," Q said as we approached the stall, somewhat with care to my surprise. I appreciated it, not expecting him to trust me by myself; he must have trusted Deka. I nodded his way, earning a nod in return before he left.

Deka hadn't noticed me yet, but I could see her from where I was stood, serving customers with a forced smile on her lips. She seemed bothered by something, and I knew it was because of our encounter yesterday. I suddenly felt nervous, almost afraid of how our next encounter would go. I kind of wanted us to become friends again? I felt a certain way about our relationship and I wanted to remember her. Fully.

I released a shaky breath before confidently walking towards her stall. She wasn't serving anyone at the moment, so she spotted me almost immediately. A grin spread across her face and her eyes lit up in the morning sun. I couldn't help but give a small smile, finding her own happiness contagious.

"Hey, Deka," I greeted, standing in front of her stall, which was filled with her own products. She made them herself and they were quite popular, with the children specifically.

Okay, did I just remember that?

"Do you remember me? Is that why you're here?" she asked with excitement, already cutting to the chase.

I chewed on my lower lip as I thought carefully. I didn't want to get her hopes up, but I did want to see what would happen if I could discuss things with her. About this world, about Polis, about the Commander. She helped me to adjust the first time, so maybe she could help again.

"Partially," I told her, making her grin widen, if humanly possible. "I actually wanted to see if we could speak. About things. I feel like I can trust you..."

She nodded instantly, already moving around and packing her products away. I furrowed my eyebrows at her urgency to pack away.

"You don't need to stop selling just for me," I reassured her, watching her pack quickly. "You still need to make money and live your life. We can talk later if that's better for you."

She paused for a moment, to give me a knowing look and raise her eyebrow. "Y/N, I haven't seen you in what feels like forever. Are you honestly expecting me to speak to you later?"

I didn't know what to say, so I stayed silent as she continued to pack away, slower this time.

"You disappearing taught me to make the most of my time with the people I love," she spoke timidly, her smile disappearing. "I don't know how long I have you back, so I don't want to waste it. Y'know?"