twenty » lexa

Lexa and I had been scurrying through these trees for about half an hour now, still in search of the sniper that was taking out our friends

Lexa and I had been scurrying through these trees for about half an hour now, still in search of the sniper that was taking out our friends. I couldn't help but feel an immense amount of worry at the thought of people I knew being hurt... or even dead.

The sound of the sniper was growing louder from the few times it would go off – this was our only lead on finding the disgusting excuse of a human before they could do any more damage.

"Y/N, let's stop here for a moment," Lexa said, holding my arm to slow down my walking. Her eyes were glazed over with concern as she peered up at me. "You need a break."

I didn't have the energy to fight, so I only nodded in response. We were getting further and further away from Tondc on our trek, closer into the hills now, and dawn was breaking on us. As lovely as the horizon looked with the orange skies and white hills, I wanted everything to be done with. I just wanted to go home and sleep forever.

"We're close," Lexa spoke aloud, though her voice was lighter than usual. I watched as the cold fog blew from her lips with every word she uttered, reminding me of how chilly it was out here. "The marksman is hiding somewhere in these hills. We still have the element of surprise on our side."

A dreary sigh escaped my mouth. "This is so unfair," I spat out with a sharp tone. "Those people didn't deserve death."

Lexa pursed her lips as her eyes darted between me and the ground. "Y/N, I–"

"I'm not blaming you," I murmured, less harshly, knowing she was about to apologise. "We couldn't have told anyone. For Bellamy's safety and the greater good. I got it."

Lexa tensed up at the mention of the other Blake sibling and I wondered if she was thinking about Octavia. What would Bellamy do if he discovered his sister was (possibly) dead? And it was our fault?

The sound of a sniper being shot rang loud and clear and so suddenly that it took me a moment to realise how close it was. I jumped at the sound and immediately looked around, trying to figure out where it came from. The 'click' of the gun being cocked and loaded was distant, but close enough for me to realise that the marksman was nearby.

"We need to get out of here!" I yelled, my eyes widening as I settled them on Lexa. "Come o–"

But my voice was cut off at the 'whish' of a bullet speeding past me and towards Lexa. The force knocked her onto the ground, and as I focused more closely, I saw that the bullet merely grazed her arm. Nothing too serious. She gritted her teeth in annoyance and looked down to the dribble of blood leaking from her newly-inflicted wound, but otherwise she seemed unaffected by the shot.

Another shot went off, this time missing her by a few centimetres, and I felt my heart clench at the realisation that if I didn't move now, she would die.

"Lexa!"

I raced forward, being sure to keep my head low so that the sniper couldn't get a clear shot. It seemed to work as the bullet missed me entirely and instead hit a tree.