eleven » betrayal

The room was filled with a small handful of grounders, all lined up and stood behind their chairs which were tucked under a dinner table that had more food than I could imagine on it

The room was filled with a small handful of grounders, all lined up and stood behind their chairs which were tucked under a dinner table that had more food than I could imagine on it. The Commander was stood behind the middle chair, and her boulder of a guard, Gustus, was on one side whilst I was forced to be on her other side. I was only here to make sure the Commander would go through with her word and help my friends.

The chatter of everybody quietened down when Clarke and the others entered the room, grim expressions staring back at us all. All of their expressions softened with pity as they saw me, though, and it was understandable. They still felt bad for handing me over, but maybe they felt a little bit eased knowing that I wasn't going to get murdered horrifically by the Commander.

I offered the smallest of smiles when I met Raven's gaze, knowing she would be concerned for my wellbeing. She gave one back, but I could see the discomfort in her eyes; she didn't trust any of the grounders in this room and I didn't blame her. From the corner of my eyes, I could see the Commander glancing at me with a troubled expression, and then to Raven. I rolled my eyes at her probable presumption and sighed loudly, hoping she would get the hint of how annoyed I was. 

"Please accept this gift, Commander." Kane held out of a bottle of alcohol when reaching his spot behind his seat at the table, opposite the Commander and I. A friendly smile was on his lips as he was evidently making the effort with the grounders and their leader. "We drink this at special occasions. I believe this qualifies."

The Commander accepted the bottle graciously and nodded her head in acknowledgement. "Thank you, Marcus of the Sky People."

Kane nodded, too. "You're welcome, Lexa Kom Trikru. Just, uh, don't drink too much of it." He snickered at the end, hinting at the effects of alcohol on us.

I watched Gustus grab two goblets from the table and fill them with the alcohol, then he handed them to Clarke and the Commander. I was hesitant to watch this coalition go forward, and for some odd reason, the brunette beside me looked at me, meeting my gaze with her powerful one. I immediately felt a little bit at ease, her eyes providing me with a sense of comfort and trust. I didn't know how to react to this strangely familiar feeling, so I tore my gaze away from hers and looked down at my plate. I heard her sigh disappointedly before she looked to Clarke.

"Clarke, let us drink together," she announced loudly, earning everybody's attention, if she didn't have it already.

"It would be my pleasure," Clarke replied, raising her glass with the Commander's. 

Gustus suddenly held out his hand to the Commander's, saying, "Heda, allow me."

She allowed him to take the sip from the cup, and continued to speak aloud for everybody to hear. "Today we celebrate our peace, tomorrow we plan our war. To those we've lost, to those we shall soon find-"