thirteen » diary

My mind was in shambles by the time the Commander's guard, Q, was leading me to my room, per my request

My mind was in shambles by the time the Commander's guard, Q, was leading me to my room, per my request. I couldn't take it any more, standing in the throne room and feeling the walls close in on the Commander and I. So, I did the only thing I could think to do: leave.

The halls were eerily silent, except for the echoes of the guard and I's feet tapping against the floor. I probably looked like a hot mess, with red eyes and tear-stricken cheeks, but Q said nothing. Only led me towards what was apparently my own personal quarters.

"Do you really not remember anything? Or anyone?"

I tilted my head up, seeing the large grounder peering over his shoulder conspicuously. I probably hadn't noticed, but he must've been glancing at me this whole time, trying to understand why I wasn't saying anything.

"What? Am I supposed to know you, too?" I asked, my voice void of any emotion. I was mentally exhausted. Everything was getting too much for my brain, and I was afraid of what would happen if it went on any longer.

He grunted several times, until I realised he was laughing in that deep, manly way big men always did. I didn't understood what was so funny.

"You may not remember me, but you certainly haven't changed," he commented knowingly, slowing his pace down slightly so he fell into step with me. "I am Lexa's guard, and your personal guard, and you never really got along with me."

"Sounds about right...," I mumbled under my breath, and he didn't hear.

"You made Lexa happy," he continued, and that familiar tug in the pit of my stomach returned. Maybe it was the mention of the Commander, or the fact that somehow, deep down, I knew he was right, but it was there. "Always."

I forced myself to look up and saw that he wasn't even trying to hide the fact that he was looking at me. His smile was faint, but it was there, and his eyes were sad, just like the Commander's. I felt my own expression soften, trying to ignore the minimal guilt I felt because of how much pain I was causing.

"Right now, she isn't happy," he added, and this brought me back to my senses.

Rolling back my shoulders, I straightened up and saw the double doors ahead. I automatically knew that we had reached my room, so I looked to Q and said, "It sucks to be her," before heading through to my quarters.

When I was finally alone, I released a deep breath and felt my muscles relax. Blinking my eyes several times, I studied my surroundings and noticed how big my room was. Spacious indeed, with a couch and small table, and a large bed with comfortable-looking furs. And what I could imagine once being my favourite aspect of the room, the balcony, which allowed streams of light to pour through and brighten up the whole room.