six » skills

I still didn't feel at home

Leaving the mountain was one step closer to finding out who I really was, but stopping by the Sky People felt odd. I didn't feel comfortable, especially with everyone staring at me as I walked around. All I wanted to do was go for a stroll, explore a little bit maybe, but I couldn't even do that without everyone eyeballing me as if they had never seen a human before; they weren't even trying to be subtle about it either. I was starting to want to just go back inside and do whatever. Raven was working which is why I was by myself, but I didn't mind because I wanted some time to think.

"Excuse me," somebody said, and I ignored it at first, knowing nobody would make the effort to talk to me. However, after feeling someone tap my shoulder, I stopped walking and turned around.

"You're Y/N, right?" the tall man asked, and I noticed that he was wearing a guard's uniform.

I nodded, though my eyebrows were furrowed with confusion. "Uh, yeah..."

He nodded his head and glanced around before a serious look appeared on his face. "You were in the mountain," he stated. "Did you see my son? Nathan?"

Oh, so that's what he wanted.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, sir, but I didn't know a-"

"Miller?" he reiterated, a pleading look in his eyes. "Nathan Miller?"

Realisation dawned on me, and my eyes widened a little bit. "You're Miller's dad?" He nodded, and I continued. "Ah, I know who you are now. Chief guard, right?"

He nodded slowly, evidently confused. "Yeah. How did you-"

"Miller told me about you," I explained, waving my hand dismissively, before smiling reassuringly at the older man. "Your son is perfectly fine, sir. I promise."

My words seemed to act as some sort of reassurance, and I saw him visibly relax, relief flooding through his expression.

"He's a really great guy," I added, smiling as I remembered all the nice things Miller had done for me. "He was there for me a lot, and even if he is a delinquent, he's a good person. You should be proud of him."

I knew of the rocky relationship Miller shared with his dad. Being a prisoner and the chief guard's son was never an easy thing, so I needed Miller's father to know that his son wasn't a bad guy; he was indeed the opposite.

"I know," the guard sighed regretfully. He looked down to the ground sadly, saying, "Maybe I'll be able to tell him how proud I am of him soon."

I rested a hand on his shoulder, making him look up. Offering a small smile, I said, "You will. We'll get them all back, sir. I promise."

He forced a smile, nodding gratefully before turning on his heel and walking away, probably needing time to himself for a while. When I knew he wasn't looking anymore, I allowed a frown to appear as I wondered myself if we would get my friends back. The Mountain Men were dangerous, and God only knew what was happening in there right now. When I left there, everyone was safe, but things could change, and not for the best.