seven » confessed

Trailing behind David and the four other guards, I stuffed my hands into my pocket and kept my head low

Trailing behind David and the four other guards, I stuffed my hands into my pocket and kept my head low. Discomfort was filling me, and I had a minor headache that would potentially spread, all because of this mini expedition. If I knew it would cause this much pain, then I wouldn't have gone.

"I'm presuming your venture was successful, judging from the outcome," Kane spoke cheerfully, a matching grin on his lips as he walked towards us all. He was referring to the many plants and small trees that the others were holding.

Mirroring his expression, David boasted, "It went just as planned, probably better."

"Good to hear," Kane responded, his eyes bright with enthusiasm, obviously glad to hear good news for his people. "Any issues on the way?"

Oh, great.

Just on cue, David turned towards me, about to speak, but Todd cut him off by jumping to my side and lacing an arm over my shoulder with excitement.

"This girl over here?" he began, his voice loud enough to attract attention from bystanders. "She defeated two grounders all by herself. Not only did she save our lives, but she saved our bullets, too!"

Kane raised both of his eyebrows as he looked at me. "Wow, Y/N. That's amazing."

"All with just a knife as well," Shawn, another of the guards inputted, a proud smile on his lips.

"And she knew which plants were edible and which were poisonous," Mel added, shoving Todd off my shoulder and replacing his arm with her own. "We need to send her out more often. She knows what she's doing, this one."

Feeling a little awkward with everyone's attention on me, and not giving Kane the chance to reply, I slipped out of Mel's hold and offered a tight smile everyone's way.

"Uh, thanks for the letting me come an' all," I began, slowly walking backwards. "It was, uh, fun! But, um, I'm gonna go to my room, and, um... braid my hair! Yeah! Uh, bye!" And with that, I ran away.

I didn't really care if they deemed me weird after that. I just needed to escape and have some time to myself after this morning's events. Throughout the whole venture out, I somehow knew which plants were which and what was poisonous and such, and that was a partial reason to why my head was growing with pain; I presumed it was something to do with my memories.

Another reason for my head hurting was the grounder/s we came across. The others were right when they said that I single-handedly killed two grounders, though not at the same time. I think that's what was mostly on my mind. That I killed two people.

No, my mind argued. Not people. Grounders.

I didn't know where the reflexes came from. I hadn't trained to fight in the mountain, so it must've been from whoever I was before, which means that I must've killed them before, too. All I know is that they just kicked in and took over when it came to it. And the grounders that I killed, they were odd. Like, they were still grounders and such, but they weren't fighting back like I expected, only making my kills easier. They were reluctant. They watched me as if they knew me.