Chapter 30

***Unedited***

Cole

This was it, he's distracted. I picked up a sharp, broken piece of broken wood and charged towards him; he turned around just in time and managed to block my attack with his arm, smacking the wood out of my hand. He gave me two quick punches in the stomach before I could block his attacks with my arms. He kept on punching me, his rings leaving scars on my arms.

Before he could hit me again, I grabbed his fists; shoving him away from me, I quickly punched him twice on his ribs. I didn't see what he did but somehow he managed to wrap his fingers against my throat and shoved me against the wall, hard. My ears started ringing and I could feel warm blood oozing out of my head. He smirked at me, I struggled against his grip and started to feel lightheaded.

Everything happened so fast, and all I could think about was 'I'm going to die because I thought I was doing something good and I thought I could help the girl I like, but she didn't even tell me her real name; she didn't tell me anything. I'm about to die for someone who doesn't trust me'

Then, there was a loud bang. The noise rung throughout the cabin, making me feel disoriented. Luke took a step back from me and looked back at Rebekah, and crumpled down on the floor, his breath was slow and ragged. I rushed to Rebekah and grabbed the gun from her hands "Ky- Rebekah" I shook her lightly by the shoulders. She was in shock, her fingers were shaking and her eyes wide. "I-i d-didn't mean to. It j-just-" I shook her violently "Look at me Rebekah." 

Her lips trembled, she closed her eyes and shook her head; mumbling and whispering over and over "I didn't mean to." I dug my fingernails into her shoulders and shook her. "Listen to me!" She looked up at me, her eyes wide and scared. I could see the fear and shock in her eyes, knowing that she would never be the same again. "Look, we have to call the police and we..." Her eyes drifted to Luke, I gritted my teeth; trying not to panic. I knew that she was not going to be any help like this, so, I decided to calm her down instead. I tried to steer her away from Luke's body but she didn't move; she continued to stare at him, the tears running down her cheek and all I wanted to do was to wipe it away and hold her close. 

Dread started creeping in, I knew she would hate herself for what she did; and I would not be able to help her. No matter how much I say that she did it to protect me and it was all self defense, she would never truly believe it; I could see it in her eyes. All the sparks that were once in her eyes is now replaced with agony and regret, longing even? 

I felt hopeless right now but instead of standing there I decided to call the cops. "Look, I'm going to make a call okay? Don't go anywhere or don't do anything stupid okay?" She nodded, her eyes looked glassy and she continued to stare at Luke. I hesitated, contemplating if I should leave her alone. "Kylie- Rebekah" she didn't answer me , instead, she continued to stare at Luke "Rebekah, look at me; please." she remained still, as more tears ran down her  cheek. I lifted her chin and made her look me in the eyes "I know it's difficult right now, and i know you're in shock right now but everything is going to be okay. You know it's not your fault right? You were only trying to protect me. It was self defense okay?" 

She stared at me for a moment then nodded stiffly, although I suspect she just nodded to keep me quiet because once I let go of her chin, she turned back to Luke. Instead of wasting time, I decided to set my priorities straight. 

I called them and went outside to clear my head, hoping I don't vomit everywhere. I knew that I had to be strong for Rebekah or we'll get nowhere. I sat on the grass and closed my eyes momentarily; hoping and wishing that none of this happened. Maybe if I closed my eyes tightly, I would wake up  from this horrible nightmare. Maybe none of this would have happened. I opened my eyes slowly, knowing that I am awake and this is reality; though, inside, I felt hope that I would wake up. I immediately felt stupid for ever hoping or thinking that this would only be a horrible nightmare. 

A loud crash came from inside and I rushed in. When I came in, Rebekah was sobbing and somehow that bastard, Luke, had the gun in his hand "You shot me." He turned to look at me and a satisfied smile appeared on his face. "Oh Cole, just in time" He pointed the gun at me and smirked  "Thank god Bekah can't aim if it were to save her life..." he looked at his waist and smirked "I can barely feel anything" I held back my snicker and thought to myself 'Yeah, you can't feel anything because you're insane' he continued talking, to my annoyance  "Now, Bekah and I are going to get out of here and-"

Pissed, I glared at him "The heck? You aren't going anywhere near her, you psychopath. I swear, if you hurt her-" he aimed the gun to my head "See the thing is, Cole; You are in no position to make threats. Especially idle ones, anyways, I would love to stay and talk more but honestly, Bekah and I need to go." He smiled coldly and unsympathetic at me "Goodbye Cole, I would say I would miss you but that would be a lie."  

I turned to look at Rebekah, the girl that lied to me and, the girl that I realize was as broken as Luke. I hated to admit it, but Luke reminded me of her sometimes. Even though she covered it well, if you were to look properly, it was there; in her eyes. Looking beautifully hollow and broken. She turned to look at me looking hopeless and fragile, she didn't know what to do and I didn't blame her.

Feeling scared, I could feel my heart beating and I just wanted to break down and beg him not to kill me. Instead of doing that I continued to look at Rebekah, I couldn't move or speak; I felt stuck, I felt scared but somehow, I felt like time slowed down and that this is my time. My time to die. Did I accept it? How could I? I'm still so young, how did I get myself into this. When he kills me, will Rebekah be okay? What will happen to her? What would he do? He's going to do something far worse than killing her, that i'm very certain of.

She was thinking it too, I could see it in her eyes; I could feel it as I looked deep into her eyes. Somehow, it felt that I could look into her soul at this moment and feel her agony and everything that makes her broken yet beautiful; maybe, it has something to do with the fact that i'm about to die? I didn't know and I didn't care, I just didn't want this feeling to end. It was both horrible and beautiful at the same time, it somehow made sense to me. 

Luke pulled the trigger and with a blink of my eye, I heard a loud, yet familiar sound as the noise made me feel disorientated. So, this was it; it's my time, all the things I didn't do and all the things I didn't say. Regret and remorse, the only thing that I was feeling right now. They say your life flashes in your eyes when you're going to die but the only thing that flashed in my eyes were the fact that I didn't save Rebekah. I failed her, and now; she's stuck with him, and I wouldn't be able to do anything.