Lazel (Leo Valdez X Hazel Levesque)

Suggested by MeridaHaddock2

Picture by Karen-Vga on DeviantART

It's hard for me to find much emotion in me when it comes to this ship. In a way, there's nothing wrong with it. They do have nice moments together and they have a certain contrast that's interesting to see, as well as some similarities for balance. 

But here's the thing: This ship has no reason to exist.

Was there really a point in causing a dumb triangle between Leo, Hazel, and Frank? It wasn't for drama: Hazel literally has Frank's life in her hands, you can do plenty with that. Was it to cause conflict? Leo and Frank could have easily not gotten along without Hazel being apart of the picture, so there was no point to bring her in. Rick even already had a love triangle with Reyna, Jason and Piper! Lazel was not needed in the least!

I get so offended when I see couples that have no reason to exist, more than I should, especially with couples that you CAN explore interesting areas with. They have contrasting relationships with their mothers (Esperanza being an unbelievably good mother, and Marie only redeeming herself in the end), they both feel shame and dread for their own powers, Hazel's determination to be what she wants to be and Leo's determination to be what people want him to be: this is interesting stuff that could have even made Leo interesting.

But instead, Lazel does none of that, and instead becomes a pointless tease for cheap drama when anyone with half a brain cell could know that Frazel was going to be endgame. 

Just...the wasted potential bugs me, yet not too much. Frazel deserves to be canon much more, because of their insane amount of chemistry. Frazel's just a perfect couple, you know? For me, they're a couple that's impossible to separate, so even in that sense Lazel does not work for me. 

I know this is all over the place, so let me just conclude this: I dislike Lazel, but acknowledge that it's a ship that could have worked if it had been written well. 

Rating: 4.5/10