Octkahale (Michael Kahale x Octavian)

Suggested by Celestial_mae

Picture by outsidermonster on Tumblr

I thought I knew everything about Riordanverse shipping, but I totally had no idea this was a thing. In fact, I had completely forgotten Michael Kahale exists, so when I was told to do a chapter on this ship, I was certain that I wasn't gonna find fanart, and I stood corrected!

So I just found out, there's actually an Octavian ship that doesn't suck! Probably because it has a similar appeal to Lukethan; there's this two boys, one who is a blonde jerk, and the other who is a loyal ally to him, and there's the possibility that there was a deeper bond between the two. Granted, this ship doesn't remind me of Percico like Lukethan does though, but enough about comparisons, let's talk about the ship in its own merits. 

Michael Kahale eventually lets Octavian die because you know, the guy's nuts. There's potential for angst here. If Michael had feelings for Octavian, he would have the trauma of having to let his loved one die for the greater good, but also miss him terribly. And who knows? Maybe there's something that made Michael stay by his side. Maybe Octavian had a better side he showed towards Michael. 

Honestly this ship is full of what ifs and maybes, and sometimes those ships are the most interesting, sure, but this ship just has too many what ifs and maybes. I JUST remembered Michael Kahale exists, and his wiki page doesn't give enough insight to what their relationship could've been like besides the loyalty. He doesn't have a lot of character either. And the developed character in this ship, Octavian, is a big dick, which just makes the what ifs on Octavian being a good person to Michael feel like a massive stretch. Like, at least with Lukethan both characters were developed, and Luke and Ethan are much more likable than Octavian, and they had things in common. Besides Michael and Octavian being like, rule-followers, there isn't much between either of them. 

Overall, this ship is still a definitive upgrade to pretty much every other Octavian ship, but I still am pretty neutral towards it. 

Rating: 5/10