Magnilla (Magnus Chase X Gunilla)

Suggested by  MisterOreo

I couldn't find any shippy pics that I could actually choose, given that there's only, what, 4 people who ship this?

The only time I remember this ship being brought up was this one person who brought the idea of Gunilla having a crush on Magnus and therefore is why she got so defensive and kinda protective at the idea of Sam being his valkyrie. 

This isn't too bad an idea. Heck, the ship isn't bad. I do have a thing for the morally misguided girl and the take-no-shit boy. I have, what, two ships that have that trope, maybe even more? And it definitely has the element of angst in it. 

Here's the problem I have though; Magnus and Gunilla don't nearly interact enough to make this a romantic tragedy, and as is it's mostly just two people with two different views that conflict. Gunilla is being judgemental but shows that she does have good intention to protect Magnus, while he is being completely undiscriminating towards Sam and doesn't like how disapproving and manipulative Gunilla is being. It's an interesting dynamic but there seems to be no real substance to make it romantic. Gunilla developing a crush on Magnus would be rushed and Magnus just wouldn't be interested. The girl literally sees him in his underwear and he doesn't get embarrassed in the least and instead throws an insult at her. (God, I love this scene. It's one of the best.) 

I just don't see with what space could a relationship or even a romantic tragedy form without damaging either character. I get where the ship is coming from, I just don't see how it could work.

Rating: 5.5/10