chapter 4

I woke up to the same of my phone going off. "Hello," I answer in a tired voice. "Hey its josh could you maybe pick me up my car isn't started," he said. "Mmhm ok text me your address and I could help you fix your car," I said and went back to sleep. I woke up again five minutes later with a text from Josh and getting ready. I throw up some black ripped skinny jeans and a gray v-neck shirt on with my black high top vans. I get my bag of tools and made some coffee. A few minutes later I was on the road to Josh's house. Soon I was on the road heading to a gated building. I find the visitor's parking lot and texted Josh that I was here. He came outside with some kid in his arms. "Hey thanks so much for doing this Haley and this is my kid sister Ally she's just starting high school," he tells me. "Well nice to meet you, Ally, I'm Haley and I work with your brother." she nodded her head and smiles at me. Guess she doesn't talk to new people. "Which is your car?"I ask him. "The silver land rover," he said. I look at the car then to him wondering how the fuck he can afford this car. "It was a gift from my grandfather," he said. "Alright car well I'm going to look under the hood" and I pop the hood. This was a brand new car and Josh told me it wasn't starting.

As I was looking for the problem I notice that the starter was loose. So I reach in and tighten it and then told him to start it. And when the car came to life he had a smile on his face and thank me. "It wasn't nothing really, the starter wasn't fully part on all the way," I said. "I don't know what that is but thank you" and just as I was about the welcome him. One of the large building that paints the L.A skyline erupts in flames and exploded. Our phones both go off at the same time. I answered it hearing our chief voice telling us this is overtime and I quickly run to my car. "Wait my car is already started let go" yells josh. I nodded and hopped in the passenger seat and we drive off to the station. An hour later and we were at that station and in our uniforms. We went up to the squad room and saw that everyone was there. And I saw a very hungover Brooks and I was pissed. "Alright, our job is to find who did this and to stop it from happening again. And to help people out of the building and if they are hurt to the triage that is being set up as we speak. Now let's move it, people, all demis" he said and we all ran out to help those in need.

I looked back and Brooks and I take the keys from him. We were driving 2578 today and I find it fast. As soon as he got in I speed off to the area where the triage was set up at. "Brooks drink this water and I mean all of it," I told him. He did what I told him to do and just as he finished it I saw the orange tents. I stop hard and fast and quickly got out of the car with a slow Brooks behind me. I went to the officer and charge and told him our names and ask what he needed for us to do. He told me to help those who aren't badly injury out of the area and to mark those who did not make it. That was something easy and the hardest thing to do. Help those who needed it and to mark ones that didn't make it. That death took them away from their suffering but left the living to grave over them. Not something that's easy nor anyone can do.

But now it was my job to help those in need and to help those move on from the death by letting them know who didn't make it. After getting the cones to place for those who past I set out with Brooks right behind me walking in and around the buildings area. Soon the area became engulfs in smoke and flames. But Brooks and I still continue on helping those who can walk and call for help for those who couldn't. Then we would place markers for those who did not make it. They are more dead than alive. It was upsetting but I have to do my job and that was being able to give their family and friends closure. Brooks and I started to spread out to cover more ground and to search for more people. We were about twenty feet apart when another explosion rocked the building. I quickly ran away from the falling building while I saw Brooks do the same. We were going in different directions. I didn't want to be separated from him during this but it looks like I had no choice in the matter. Shit, we were going to get separated. This was bad. I need to find a way to get to him but there were fires raging and the building was coming down all around us. I couldn't do anything but run away to safety before I could think about Brooks. This was started out shitty and it getting worse by the second. Who would do this and why? What would they gain from attacking our city other than that fact that it is the L.A is the second largest city in this country?

I couldn't think about that now. Whoever did this was going to pay. They broke my city and hurt the people who live here. I radio for information on what to do. "This is officer Santiago, I was a part of the search and rescue and another explosion went off inside the building and now it's coming down hard. I got separated from the partner and I am helping those who can walk out of the area is anyone there" I spoke into my radio. So far it was nothing but silence. If felt like minutes passed before anyone responded to my call but in reality, it was seconded. "I read you loud and clear this is Captain Kinser by the way and we heard what happen and can see the smoke from here. Right now get to anyplace safe and wait for me to figure out a plan" she said. I reply understanding her and continue to help those running away from the fire and smoke.

I was running towards people and telling them where it was safe and where to go and to help those who can't walk into safe places and areas. I was running and yelling out at people to help them get out of the hot zone. Then I saw him it was a firefighter. I ran towards him "hey I need your help" I said to him. "What can I do for you officer?" he asks me. "I need your help in directing people to safe areas away from the building in case another bomb goes off. And also call for more back up to get the wounded out of here." I said to him. "Alright I got you officer but just help me out with this," he said. I look to where it was pointing at and saw a car with two people trapped in it. " it's a two-man job even with my tools to pull the door" he said. I nodded my head we headed to the door and I saw the two men were awake. "We're coming to get you out of there" yelled the firefighter. "Alright you pull and I will work the tool to help you pull the car door open," he said to me. I nodded again. On the count of three, we started to help these men out. I Was pulling the door with everything I had and it started to slowly get away. Soon the door was open and we help the first guy out of the car then moved on the next. We didn't need to use anything tool. We just had to cut the seatbelt and pull him out of the car. We both check and clear them of anything head injuries and I told them to get to a safe area.

"Thank you for the help officer," said the firefighter. "Anytime it what we do right," I said and started running to help more people.