Chapter 20

She kissed me. Gabby kissed me and I kissed her back. Holy shit! This wasn't supposed to happen that wasn't supposed to happen. But it did, and I enjoy every second of it, but I can't let it happen again. I needed to get this off my mind and sleep, so I can be ready for the trip back into the city. I went back inside and up the stairs to find a bed and sleep. I find a bed in one of the spread bedrooms and fell into it. The bed was soft and sleep overtook me.

I was soon woken to by small hands grabbing at me. I woke up to see Casey grabbing my hand. "Hey lil'dude what's up?" I ask her. "I don't want you to leave," she said. "I know come here," I told her, and she moves onto the bed and cuddles into my side. "I know you don't want me to go but I have to, I have to see if my captain is alive and to help people who need it, I won't be gone for longer than a week two tops, I know that this is hard, but I need to watch over your little sister now," I said to her. She nodded her and put herself closer to me. "I know but I'm scared, and I want a mom who is cool and comes back home." She just called me mom and for some reason that didn't freak me out. "I'll be back," I said to her and hugged her.

I got up to get ready with Casey hot on my tail. She watched me pack and ask me questions along the way. I laugh and told her what I was doing. I understood what she was getting at. She wanted to learn so she can protect her sister and herself. After getting ready and eating with Josh and the rest we got up to leave and get ready to make our way back into the city. We decided it was best to drive half of the way there then hide his car and walk the rest of the way into the city. I kiss the girls and hug my godmothers and when I saw Gabby I blush and looked away from her. I was about to turn away from her when she grabs my hand and held it. She brought us closer and hugged me. She lightly kisses my cheek and wished us luck. I step away from her and wave as Josh and I left.

We drive for two hours before leaving the car behind to continue on foot. The sky was high, and it was hot as fuck. But I wouldn't dare drink any water until we needed it. With the sweat dripping off my face and my shirt clinging to my body I wanted to stop but didn't nor would I stop. We needed to do this, and I push Josh to do it as well. After about four hours of walking, we reach the city limits where we left the soldiers out in the open. I felt bad for leaving them like this, this wasn't their fault that they were ordered to stop people from leaving. And in the end, they gave their lives for something pointless. "I think we should pull these guys off the road and hide their stuff for when we leave," I told Josh. He seems to agree with me and we pulled them off the road and clear it out.

After clearing their bodies and hiding their stuff Josh and I went back on track and into our lost city. The sun was setting now but that wasn't going to stop us from reaching HQ. we move into the city at a slower pace now. Not wanting to draw attention to ourselves. Living or dead I didn't want to see any of them at night. Josh and I made out way into the inner depth of our fallen city with little problem. Whenever we encounter the dead we would stop and wait them out and the same for the living. However, if it were one or two of them we would kill it. we were getting closer to the HQ now. I could see some fire in the distance. We still moved at a slow pace. We were in no need of a rush. The closer we got the more fire and I could see people move about. Josh and I made ourselves known to them by stepping out into the fire.

They pointed their weapons at us as we stood there. Josh and I stood still not wanting anyone to be trigger happy. "Hey, I need to see the captain," I spoke loud enough. "And why should we," said some random guy. "Well isn't that some way to treat another officer of this city's fine police force," I said. "Also, I'm coming in any way so shoot me if you want but I'm the one who warned the captain and shit but hey it's not like the dead are running around right," I said. "yeah, I got to agree with her on this one guy, hell she save my life," said Josh. I smile at him for the support. "So, if you don't mind I'm going to go inside and speak with her and talk about this," I said and started walking towards the makeshift wall and gate. I dare anyone to stop me, but they didn't. Josh was right behind me, they open up the gates and let us in. once inside we saw small battery power lanterns and some people in groups by them. I saw one or two people in army uniforms cover in blood and dirt and some officers that looked scared out of their minds but held it together.