Chapter 25

After introducing everyone to the new people I wanted to spend some time with my favorite girls. It's been awhile since I relax and spent the day with them. But before I could make a move my radio crack to life and I heard the captain's voice. I close my eyes and took a deep breath, I know that relaxing is something that I can't always have but today I really wanted it. "Hey Julie whats up?". I waited for her response. " Hey sorry to bother but I am sending some men out to set up a trade area between the city and the lake at a gas station just halfway between us," she said. I guess I was going to meet her boys soon. I went upstairs to check on the girls for a minute. they were both asleep with Abby watching over them. I couldn't be happier but I still felt like I was lacking at being a mother.

After getting ready I was about to set out when Josh and Gabby put on their packs and stood by me. Before I could say anything Gabby was already heading out the door. I sigh and went after her with Josh following close behind. It was still hot in the day and the sun was up but soon I couldn't believe that Julie would be sending her men out so late in the day. It was something that had to be done and it has only been a few days since I had left the city with Josh, so sending her men out for supplies was understandable. I just wish this could have waited until tomorrow but somehow I wasn't feeling tired. It was like my whole body burn. Maybe I was getting sick and the stress was getting to me. I shook it off and started walking down the road to the only gas station here. We did not drive because we were running low on gas and didn't want to bring any unwanted attention to ourselves. The walk was long but not hard. Gabby was keeping pace with me while Josh struggling to keep up in the heat. Gabby walked close to me and I could tell she wanted to talk but not while Josh was around. I knew what she wanted to talk about but I don't think I am ready for that kind of talk yet. I know we've kissed before but when I confessed my feelings to her everything changed. I mean I was scared of what this will lead to but at the same time, I am not ready for something more than what we have going on.

I continue to think and zone out about her that I didn't realize we were close to the station already. I stopped walking and Josh and Gabby follow suit. I took out my tire iron and moved towards the building. I didn't notice anything from the outside but that could be a different story on the inside. However, we still check and clear the surroundings than my link up in the front of the station doors and went in. There was still light but only coming from the outside. I stepped in with Josh covering my back and Gabby moving to the left while I cover the right. We moved in tandem covering the medium area well. Once we were done we relax a bit. But then something came out from the bathroom and came at Josh.

Something felt weird within me. I felt my body grow in heat and I move but everything was in slow motion. It wasn't something that was dead attacking Josh but a person. He was cover in black ink and had a nine-inch knife, I went for the knife, taking it out of his hand and stabbing him in the neck. I saw all of this in slow motion and moving was nothing for me. Then taking the knife out of the side of his neck I buried it deep in his ear and twisting it into the brain so he wouldn't come back. To me, I felt everything moving slow. When I stop everything sped up to a normal pace again. Josh was on the floor looking at me and Gabby was staring at me as well. I try to speak but what came out of my mouth didn't sound like words but a deep growl. I stop and tried again until the words could form. But it was hard to speak. I was started to burn up and I didn't know what to do. That's when I felt a hand on my shoulder pulling me towards them. It was Gabby and she looked worried. "Hey it's ok breath for me, babe," she said to me and a soft voice. I closed my eyes and breath.

When I opened my eyes I was still burning up but I feel calmer and better. I tried to speak once more. This time the words came out. " I don't know what happened, one second I'm stranded by the storeroom door and the next I killed that guy," I said. I was looking at Gabby for answers. "Well you moved fast and I mean fast but not flash like fast, and just now your eyes were black and red and your teeth were sharp, like wolf teeth sharp, but before I could ask any more questions somebody came in. "Hey guys you must be Haley, well I'm officer Cameron Gibson and this is my partner Lucas Fuller, nice to meet ya."