Chapter 33

I woke up to soft lips on my own. I open my eyes to find Gabby looking at me with worried and something else I can't quite place. Casey was holding Carmen and I went for the both of them. I held them both close. I know Casey was scared of me leaving but I wasn't going to again. The only way I would leave these girls is something or someone killing me. I let them go and went downstairs to eat, after everything that happened yesterday I was in need of food. I could eat a cow or two. yesterday was something I don't want a repeat of.

I spend the morning with my girls and Ally. " I want to learn how to fight and defend myself and since my brother is out of it and on bed rest can you please teach me," she said. I looked at her and thought about it. she was going to be sixteen soon and she wanted to know how to defend herself. "Alright but on one condition, you have to ask Josh first," I told her and she went running inside to find her brother. While I waiting for Ally I saw Casey playing with Artemis. She was chasing her around the front yard. All came running to me and told me it was a go for the training to happen. I wasn't going to give her weapon from the start, however, I was going to build up her physical strength and stamina.

"Alright first thing first is building up your body, so we will start with running, "I told her. We started running around the house and bran. After six laps she was breathing hard but didn't stop running. She was determined. We ran a few more laps until she couldn't anymore. Then I had her do push-ups and sit-ups until she couldn't anymore. " I know this doesn't seem like much right now but if we keep doing it every day we will see the improvement to your body and then we can start with hand-to-hand combat, short and long-range weapons," I told her and she said yes. I never had to teach anyone how to fight. But maybe with this, I can teach Casey how to fight when she is older. I mean I don't know if I'll be around long but I sure as hell hope to see her grow up. After doing a few more drills with Ally, Gabby came to me. "Gross you smell," she said to me but kissed me anything. It was light and sweet and I smile at her. "Come on let's get you to feed before Ally comes running for more training, maybe I could help you train her and the others," she said to me. "That would be great babe," and blush at what I said. She just smiles and kissed me again.

"Gross you guys are in love," said Casey laughing at us. "W-what I-I Casey!" I yelled at her and she ran away from me. I was blushing like crazy while Gabby just laugh. I didn't say anything to correct Casey about me loving Gabby. I mean I like her and I've known her for a while now but I wasn't sure how she felt about me. I just walked away to get some food. Danny was in the kitchen with Jane. They were making lunch and talking. " I miss Haley but I never thought I would see her again like this," said Danny. " I know what you mean love but shit happens you know," said Jane. The continue to talk until they saw me. "Well speak of the devil, what can we do for you sweetie," said Danny. "Food, I need a lot of food, I was training Ally she wants to learn how to defend herself," I said. They just smile at me and brought me some smoked ham and turkey on a roll. I licked my lips and took a big bite out of the sandwich.

After eating I went upstairs to change out of my sweaty clothes when I find Gabby in my bed. "Hey there sexy," she said to me. With my shirt off and my face turning red I said "Nothing much just changing out of this sweaty shirt," I told her. she hummed and took off her shirt. My eyes always fell out of my head. I moved closer to the bed and I felt her hands touch my chest. I shiver at the thought and felt her lips on mine. She snakes her arms around my neck and brings me down. I'm on top of her and she wraps her legs around my waist. I started to slowly move my hips into her and she lets out a soft moan. She bites my lower lip and I let her in.

"Mom, where are you!" I heard a yelling Casey. I quickly jump off of Gabby just as she walked through the door and drive to the opposite side of the bed hiding my somewhat bare chest. Gabby covers herself up as well. "Um, nothing just reading on the flood because um yeah just cause," I told her trying to control my voice. "Oh ok sure, I just wanted to tell you that Carmen is sitting up now," she said and walked away. I swear that kid knew what was going on. I sigh and put on my shirt when I heard more yelling. This time it as from Skyla. "Haley get your ass down here now I am picking up radio chatter!" she said and I jumped out of my bedroom window and ran for the barn.

"Hey hey form the wonderful dead city of New York." Jackie's voice blasting out of the speaker. I quickly push the button and spoke to her. "Girl some shit went down and I need to tell you about it," I quickly said. "I'm glad to see my west coast girl still kicking it. Let me tell you how many times I've almost died and got shot at," Jackie said with a laugh. "But on the real, I don't have much time until this is cut out again. The government started this shit and is trying to cover it up and I have a feeling it's going to happen again, but for now, I should tell you I got a bite and survive."

I was quite and so was everyone else that we in the barn with me. I couldn't believe what I just heard. "Me too," was all I said. "Well I'll be damn but don't say that shit ever again on open airways alright," she said. "But I did something and it stops a friend from dying, I bite him, "I said. "Well I'll be damn or let me rephrase that was he bitten when you did it?" she asks me. "No, but he was dying," was all I said. "Well alright girlie let get on with this talk before time runs out," she said.

So I listen to Jackie speak out the bombs and how this was a man-made virus. She told me how some of her people figure out what it was and how they name it zed one. I thought it was a weird name but since her people find it I'll just call it that. She told me all about what her people found out and are trying to listen to the outside world. She heard all different types of stories surround New York and California. Mostly that the entire state was wall off and how most people are trying to get in to bring us aid but the government won't let them. They say we are sick and dying and that the cities are on fire, which was somewhat true. She said the air force should be doing flybys but I haven't heard anything from the police station on the runners about this. I should call them up and tell this.

After ten minutes the radio started to cut in and out. I told Jackie what I saw in San Diego and how the navy tried to shoot me out of the water about two miles off the coast. She curses and told me she wishes she could do more than just talk about it but I understood where she was coming from. Soon the radio cut out and I couldn't get a signal to her again.

"So guys since you all here this what do you think," I ask them. "What the hell I thought there was just you," said Jana. "Well no not just me here at least," I said looking towards Gabby. "What no one asks me and you just like do it all the time, besides I can only heal faster and have some strength, not like this one," she said pointing at me. I just agree with her. "Okay we really need to talk more about this but this Jackie chick said she also got bitten but didn't they wall off Manhattan close to a year ago and this all started happening like three or four months ago," said Cassidy. "Yes you are right about Manhattan being walled off for about a year now just one more month and it would be a full year and for us, it is just about three to four-month but it feels longer than that doesn't it, I ask everyone that was around me.

"Yeah, dude is right about it feeling longer than that," said Colby. "So we can't trust the government because they did this to us and they might do it again, I hate to say it but we need to get out of here or at least start killing more growlers and ticks that come our way," I said. I was already thinking of ways to do that. "Before any of that are we going to ignore that fact that Jackie said that there is a wall around the state and shit," said Lily. She was right Jackie did say that. "I won't believe it until I see it but we don't have the gas for that so I guess we could just start asking around all over the state," I said. she nodded and went to the other radio to call out to the police station and the runners to let know what we find out. I know they can help us. We have a gated community that needs to be filled with people and once Josh is healed, we are going to clear out the high school as well. More people out of the city the less of the dead they'll be. I hope.

While Lily was on the radio talking to our friends and other groups Skyla came to me to talk about building more rooms around the home area. I told her she should ask Danny and Jane but I also give her the okay to start it. I left the barn and wonder if the government was listening in on our talk. I bet they were trying to find shit. I mean Jackie said not to say that ever again, so maybe the government wants people like us. She did say they wanted her but that means there's a chance they know about me. I pushed the thought away from my mind. If they know and try to find me well I'll just kill them. It's as simple as that.

I don't have the time to worry about the government. I need to only worry about what's in front of me. That's my crew and my kids. Now I just go to find out if this wall around the state is true. I just hope it's not but if it is well let's just say we need to clear out a lot of the cities to keep the deep manage.