chapter 12

I decided to stay in the house for little longer so we can rest some more. Carmen is barely two weeks old and Casey was a kid who was still growing and needed a food. I, on the other hand, was 21 years old and I didn't need as much rest as them but I knew they needed it. I told Casey to stay inside and to eat some more and drank some more water. I took Carmen from her and feed her as well. She needed a lot more than Casey and I. after feeding Carmen and Casey I sat watch by the door. It was calm outside, well as calm it can get in hell. I told Casey to sleep and just held onto Carmen. I was tired and need food as well but I couldn't let them unprotect but my body betrayed me, as it was relaxing in the lulled asleep I heard nothing outside and my eyes close.

A few hours later I woke up to find Casey still asleep but Carmen was awake in my arms. She was quiet and looking around. Her big green eyes were wide open and she was taking in all of her surroundings. I smile down at her and she looks up at me. She opens her mouth and made a noise and laugh. "What's so funny little dude?" I laugh at her. She just smiles and laughed some more. I check her to see if she needs to be changed and she does, I hated changing her but I wasn't going to wake up Casey for this. After changing Carmen I try to put her down but she started to cry. I picked her back up and held her. She stops almost immediately and started reaching out for my hands. She started playing with my fingers and putting them in her mouth. I just laugh at her and smile. Even in so much chaos, this kid brought a smile to my face. I needed to protect her and Casey, I needed to give them a fighting chance.

Soon Casey woke up and I told her to eat some more and feed Carmen again. I ate as well and we feed our four-legged friend. It was about four or five in the afternoon we I decided it was time to leave this small safe space. Staying in one place for too long can bring unwanted guest and I wouldn't risk it for another day of rest. As we were packing up I told Casey to find some more clothes, it's been a while since we change back at the hospital and we needed to be clean. We finish packing up our things and we both change out of our three-day-old shirts into new ones. I made sure that Carmen was clean up as well. After making sure everything was packed and ready to go I put Carmen in her harness and my bag on while Casey did the same. Artemis got p and came running towards us with a rope in her mouth. I tried the rope through her collar and held onto the rope in my hand. I made sure it was clear outside then started to move out and towards Josh's apartment complex. The complex had gates and if I could clear it would be safe for the girls. That was the goal in mind but I wonder how long that would be safe.

That's all I needed to do to now. It was all I could do, all I could think of doing for these girls. I wasn't going to lose them. I would do anything and everything for these girls. I would give my life for these girls but then I wouldn't be able to protect them if I did that. So, I had to do the only thing I could do and that stayed alive long enough to protect them and watch them grow and give them someplace safe. "Alright let's get going before it gets dark," I said. Casey nodded her head and Artemis wail her tail.

We left our safe spot and move more into the city. There were fires raging and smoke in the smoke blocking out the sun. cars were burnt to their metalcore and some were still ablaze. Every now and then I would hear a noise and I would pull Carmen and Casey closer to me and wait for the noise to pass. Sometimes it would be clicking of teeth or shouting from people who went insane. Other times Artemis would growl and get low to the ground and I would stop and look to where she is facing, she would spot growlers or the unwanted living created chaos. Having Artemis was a great thing. She helps us keep safe with her warning growling and if need be she can attack anyone trying to hurt us in any way. However, I wouldn't want her to attack the undead because I have no idea what their blood will do to her if she gets it into her mouth or if she is bitten. We were moving slow but at a steady pace where Casey nor I will try out.

We were about two hours away from Joshes apartment complex and the sky was still filled with smoke. I was hoping for rain to put out the fires and some wind to blow the smoke away but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. It was the start of May and there was still no rain.

Rounded the corner of a gas station I heard glowering. I stop and Casey stops right behind me holding up her knife. Artemis went in front of me trying to protect me and Carmen. I was proud of Casey but at the same time, I never wanted her to fight the living or the dead. If I could have that one wishes for both of these girls then I would get it myself with my bare hands and beat it into submission I thought.

I got out of my head and focus on the growling that wasn't coming from Artemis. I look up and saw a growler with an LAPD uniform on. Damn one of my own was now one of these things but I had to put it down before anyone people were hurt. When the growler turned around I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Brooks, it looks like he was bitten in the neck. Even though Brooks was an ass he didn't deserve this. I took Carmen off my chest and strip her onto Casey. I didn't want her to get hurt and I didn't want her to be anywhere near growler Brooks. I told Casey to stay put. I didn't want her to get hurt as well, I couldn't bear it if these girls got hurt. I took out my knife and I slowly went towards Brooks. He just growled and stood there doing nothing. Then he moved, not towards me but towards nothing in particular. I got up behind him and grab the back of his head. That's when he started moving but before he could do anything that could have hurt me I plunged my knife into the back of his head. He dropped to his knees then fell face first into the ground. He laid there still. I got separated from him only to reunited to end him. If it were me that was dead and he was alive I believe he would have did the same thing for me.

I put my knife away and call Casey over to me so we can continue walking to the apartment complex. It wasn't too far from where Brooks body was. Just another ten minutes and we would be home free even for a while. This is what I needed and this is what the girls needed. And then I would find a way to get these two out of the city and to someplace safe. That was the thing I wanted the most. To keep these two safe no matter what.

Coming up on the complex now I see the gate is closed and locked. But it looked like someone has done a rough job of blocking the path. I look into the gate and saw my car but what shocked me the most was seeing Josh's car park there. Before all this happen Josh and I went to work together then after that I haven't seen or heard from him. If Josh was alive then he would of block the gate to keep those things out and to keep his sister safe. "Casey I'm going to throw you over the gate," I said to her. He looks at me as if I was crazy. "You're not throwing me", she said. I laugh a little and went to her. I pick her up and put her to the top of the fence. "drop our bag over the side then I'll pick up Artemis and then I'll climb over and bring you down", I told her. She nodded her head and started dropping our things on the other side. The last thing was our dog. She wasn't heavy and she was perfectly still in me picking her up and she just off the fence and onto the other side. Next was myself. I climb the fence and was now sitting on top next to Casey. I pick her up and brought her to the ground. She was safe holding on tightly to Carmen. I then jump off and landed next to them.

Then before I could even grab my bag I was tackled to the ground. My first reaction was to punch whoever it was in the face and that exactly what I did. I punch them hard and then kick off whoever it was that was on top of me. When they weren't on me anymore I got up and pull out my knife. Then I stop and saw who it was. "What the fuck Josh," I said. "Hayley?" he said in the question. "Yeah who else would it be," I said? "Oh, shit you're alive holy shit you're alive!" he said sounding happy.

I just look at his life he lost his mind. Then I saw someone standing in the background. "Ally get back inside," he yelled and she did just that. So, he and his kid sister were alive. I still couldn't believe this was happening but I was happy as hell to see a familiar face. and I'm glad Josh is safe. us rookies have to stick together.