chapter 14

I wake up to darkness. I wanted to move around but my body protested this action. I groan and tried again. More pain shot through my body as I fell back down into something soft. That's when I realize I was in a bed. I look up at the ceiling wondering what happen. "You passed out Haley," said Josh. I groan in response. I pass out. I fucking passed out but at least it was someplace safe. I look over to where Josh was standing. I look him over, he seems to be doing okay but I knew he lost some weight and his eyes were hollow out from sleepless nights and worrying about his kid sister. We were in the same boat. Josh and I had some much on our plate and with each passing day, it keeps filling up until I plate crack from the weight and I pass out. Maybe I just needed to stay here. This place had gates and I could keep the girl's safe.

Or I could leave and explore the area and get a better grasp of how bad the city really is. Or I could stay here and be with the girls and Josh. No, I needed to understand the station that I am in better and if I do this I need to do it right now. I was still in bed but I wasn't going to let that stop me from doing what I needed to do this was for the girls I told myself. This was for the people who were left behind. This was for Josh. This was for my family.

I got up and left the room I was in. I was looking around when I saw the girls and Josh together in the living room. He was holding Carmen and smiling down at her. The sight of this made me think of Carmen's birth family and how they will never know her and how she will never know them. It was sad but this happens and torn apart a new family who had everything to look forward to. I would like to think that her family was safe or at least one of her parents but I knew it wasn't possible. The hospital was a mess and the only things that lived thought this outbreak was my father and her. But my father took his life in order to protect me. And I took her from there to protect her and give her a fighting chance. I did that for her and I would continue to do that for her and for Casey.

I just stood there and watch them. This was good for them. This was a safe place for them to grow. But a part of me will never rest easy while we stay in the city. I wanted to be away from the high rises and crowded areas. But we also had to stay near the city but not within it. I went to the kitchen and got some food. I was hungry and needed to build my strength for exploring the city without the girls or the dog. But I know for a fact that Josh and Casey won't be happy to hear that I'm going to be exploring alone.

It wasn't their choice in the matter if I choose to go alone or not. I just think that I would explore a lot more of the surrounding area better alone and that I would move faster alone. I would be able to explore during the day and part of the night and sleep anyway without worrying about someone's safety other than mine own. And I wouldn't have to worry about feeding someone other than myself for a few days. Maybe this is something I needed in order to blow off the stress that I was feeling. I mean I would never get rid of the stress that I will feel day to day in my new world but maybe it will just release a small part of it. But I know in my heart I would never leave the girls or Artemis. I love the girls too much for that and Artemis well she's my dog.

After eating some food and drinking some water I took a seat next to Josh on the sofa. He was still holding Carmen playing with her. "I've been thinking of exploring the area and going towards the marina to see if we can leave by boat or not," I said to him. He still held Carmen but he looks at me as if I grew another head. "What do you mean by that Haley?" he asks me. "what I mean is that you watch the girls while I go out and explore the area and find a way to leave the city," I told him. "No, no way in hell will I let you go alone," he said to me. "Look I was alone when this started and I find these girls and Jack killed himself and my family is all gone I need some air to let it all go and I need to do this," I told him. "No if you are going we are going together," he said in a stern voice. "No Josh, you listen to me I am doing this by myself, I am faster alone and I've been out there longer than you have," I said to him. I got up and left him and went towards the room I came out of.