chapter 10

trigger warning******

I woke up with Case by my side and a awoke to buy quite Carmen in her arms. "Hey guys" I greeted them. Casey smile at me and Carmen let out a small laugh. This small kid was a weird one but then again everything that has been happening was so crazy that Carmen seem normal. I got up from the bed and my back popped. It felt good. I rubbed the tiredness from my eyes. I went to the window to look outside the sun was setting and I knew was dangerous outside with Casey and Carmen." Ok Casey I'm going to find some more supplies and bring them here and fill our bags ok." I said to her. She nodded and I went to the door checking for any sounds on the other side. It was all clear and I slowly open the door and went outside. I close the door and heard Casey move the chair to block to door. I went down the hall towards the stairwell. This hospital had a café on the first floor. The stairwell was quiet and I made my way down, then all of a sudden, the door opens. I make my way up the stairs and tried to get back to the second fall door but I was too late. I immediately jump back and tried to make myself as small as possible and hide. I didn't know what was going to happen but I just slowly moved up the stairs out of view. Reaching the top of the third floor I saw the person who came into view. It was Jack. "Jack!" I said. He turned to me with a smile on his face. "Haley oh shit I thought you were gone," he said to me. I went downstairs and pulled him into a tight hug. I never thought I miss this guy as much as I do now. "why are you here" he asked me. "I wanted to find my family and instead I find a kid and a newborn," I told him. "Oh, thank god I thought they were all gone, I miss your brother so much I can't wait to see him," Jack said.

I looked at him. He was here to find my brother the love of his life. Fuck. How could I tell him he isn't with us anymore? That he was gone. Damn it! I hate bringing bad news to people. I have to tell him, I have to show him what happens to my brother to his lover. The man who he would have spent the rest of his life with. How could I tell him that I killed him? That my brother and the man he fell in love with wasn't alive when I find him. That he was this thing. This monster. How could I tell him this?

"Listen, Jack, before I take you to my brother I need help finding some more food and water so we can all leave together and get out the city," I said to him. "alright cool sounds like a plan but I beat you to it I find what was left which wasn't a lot I got about seven water bottles some cans of soda and some canned foods," Jack said. I just smile at him. "alright well I find a room with the kid and baby I was telling you about let's stay there until morning then um I have to tell you something" I told him. "Aright whatever you say, Haley," he said. "Alright let's just sleep on it and we really need to talk," I said to him. He didn't say anything in return. He just followed my lead. I reach the room and said 'on your side' and heard Casey moving the chair blocking the door. She opens the door and I smile at her. Carmen was in the bed and Casey went back to the bed to watch over her. I still just smile at her with the way she is with Carmen. I just hope that Carmen survives this. I shook the thought out of my head and went to Jack. "So how have you and been these past few days?" I ask him. "Oh well you know, killing those things, looking for my lover, and trying to get out of here alive," he said with a cheeky smile on his face.

I just looked at him and smile. This guy, always cracking jokes trying to make light of the situation. It was not ten at night and Casey and Carmen were asleep and Jack was knock out in the chair. I guess I should sleep soon, we have a long day tomorrow and I was worry Carmen might not make thought the day. But I also had to show Jack what happened to my family. I don't know how he would react to seeing my brother on the floor but I will show him last. I mean who was I to do that to Jack but at the same time I wanted to keep the girls safe and I don't know what would happen if he lost it.

I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't put these girls at risk, even if Jack and I are friends. Partners on the force and soon to be my brother-in-law. I couldn't put Casey and Carmen at risk. I went to bed knowing that I had a choice to make if things went south.