chapter 24

After the kiss, I left Gabby to find Josh and Vince to talk about setting up trade routes into the city and finding a gated community near the farmhouse and make it into a safe place. I like Gabby and I know she has feelings for me as well, but I can't let them get in the way of what's really important and that's making sure we are safe. I went inside and saw Josh just standing in front of the Map of the surrounds area and L.A pin to the living room wall. Josh was making up the schools in the area, while Vince was marking the map of the city. I watch them work when the radio came to life. "Julie speaking, just wanted to know if you and the group made it to your safehouse over." I wanted to laugh at how he spoke over the radio, but I knew were both trained to speak like that. I find it funny even now that my life went from stressful too stressful in a matter of hours and days. But at the end of it, I am still here but a part of me will never truly understand why this happens and our this happen.

All I knew was that I felt were Gabby's lips on mine and how badly I wanted to kiss her again and have none of this bullshit zombie business happens. Maybe then I would have been with her just as a cop and not some leader that I've been made to be. But at the same time, I had to be careful because we were both bitten and we don't know the side effects from, hell we could just be prolonging our death, or we could turn into something different altogether. I just hope we don't turn into freaks or something. I know that Gabby and I were the only ones bitten that haven't turn but maybe there were more like us outside of the city but that was a bet I wasn't willing to take. Maybe that big ass zombie Josh and I face was someone who got bitten and turned into them but that could have taken days or weeks, but Gabby was bitten at the start of this all and she didn't change her bite mark healed and so was mine. I needed to talk to someone who knows about this and the only other person who does is on the other side of the country and I have no way I am contacting her. I couldn't continue to think about this I had things to do.

I went inside and look at that map that was on the wall. I saw some home hardware stores and a school and a gated community. The gated community looks like a great place to settle and save other people. I mean I love the farmhouse and I wouldn't leave it but if this place needed to or became overcrowded so instead of the problem happening over time we could build it up and move on. I know for a fact that Julie and Katie. I should call them and tell them, but I wanted to make sure it was safe and well protected. However, exploring could wait until tomorrow because I miss my girls and I wanted to spend some time with them. I went upstairs to where my girls were at. Casey was by the window looking outside while Carmen was on the, she was rolling around playing with her feet. I smile at her and went to pick her up. The last time I held her she was a bit lighter and when Casey notice me she ran and hugged me tightly. I held her to and ask her how everything was when I was gone.

Casey told me how Gabby and my Danny went out and how she wanted to help out, but she didn't know what to do so she just watch her little sister. "well I have some new kids you can help them out, show them around and keep on watching your sister," I told her, and she smiles. She told me all about how she took care of her sister and being friends with Abby. I just smile at her and knew she would be fine, but I promise myself I would take care of her and Carmen, they had each other and me. I wasn't going to let anything happen to them no matter what.

I spend the hold day with my girls and soon I fell asleep with them in my arms. It felt go to feel that they were safe. But I wonder how it would feel if Gabby were in my arms. As soon as the though appear I quickly stop it. I couldn't think about her at a time like this. I needed to stay on track, but she was there and real and I wish I could do something about it. I went to sleep and was at peace for once.

I woke up with Casey and Carmen in my arms and surprisingly Abby was they as well. She stirs and rubs her eyes. She gave me a shy smile "Um I've also slept with the girls and stuff in case one of them wakes up but then you were here, but it felt weird to not be near to them," she said was a blush on her face. I smile at her and thank her for watching out for them and that I didn't mind at all. I got up and left the girls asleep with Abby watching over them. I needed some food in me, but I hope we had some coffee. I knew it would be too much to ask for, but I need my coffee.