chapter 18

"Wait, what," I said. "did you just agree with me.? I ask them. "yes," said Josh. "yes, we think it would be a good more to get away from the city and find someplace safer not only for the kids but for us as well you know," said Gabby. "well yeah but I thought you guys would protest that because the city still has a lot of supplies," I said. "yes, but they are the dead walking around and the living losing their shit," counter Gabby. I had to admit she had a point. So, I just agree with her and we started forming a plan to leave the city behind. I left the girls to bond while I talk to Gabby about the past two weeks. She just looks at me, I could see the answer swimming beneath the surface but she stays quit. "look I just want to get to know you better that's all," I told her, "also you don't have to tell me how it happens," I said to her looking in her eyes to let her know I meant it. She didn't have to tell me how she got bitten but from what I could tell her got bitten from the start because it was healing.

She looks me in the eyes not believing me when I said she didn't have to tell me and that I won't bother her from answers. She can tell me when she's ready or not at all. I mean I should kill her but thinking of that kills me. She isn't infected like the rest of them. She got bitten and live. She didn't turn into those things that Jackie call tickers or growlers. She is here, breathing and I looking at me with such curiosity her beautiful bright brown eyes. I couldn't take it anymore and I look away from her. "like I said it's up to you," and I walked away from her. My face slight burning from looking at her too long. As I walked away from her I went to find Josh to ask him about driving out of here or walking. As I walk throughout the building trying to find him I heard something break. I stop and look around. I draw my weapon and listen to the quiet. At first, I didn't hear anything then I heard it. I took off the sound quietly. I saw one of the apartment doors open slightly.

I pushed the door slightly open to get a better look inside. My view was no longer in questions. I could now see clearly and I didn't like it. I notice footprints on the floor it the stains looks too dark to be blood. My only guess was that someone got bit and came here looking for help. The only help they'll get is a bullet to the head. I moved inside looking for where this person might be to get this over with fast. Whoever this was, wasn't going to stay here and put my friends and my girls in danger. I had already made up my mind about killing whoever this was until I saw them. "oh no" was all I said in shock. What I saw almost killed me. It was a kid maybe I was a few years older than him. He turns around with a look of terror on his face. His eyes look at me then at my weapon pointed at him. "h-help me," he pleaded. His voice creaked and the look he was giving me broke me. I looked into his dark brown eyes and black curly hair covering his brow. He dark skin was pale and he was shaking from fear. He was holding onto his right arm. That black blood was dripping from his hand. I close my eyes and cures. The only way to help him was to kill him. I lower my gun and said "alright kid ill help just close your eyes and take a deep breathe ok. I need you to calm down for me," I told him. He did what he was told. As soon as his eyes were close I raise my gun again and pull the tiger.

It all happens in slow motion. I saw his eyes fly eye in horror then close in peace as his body drops to the ground. I heard footsteps rush my way. I didn't bother turning towards them. I just stood there looking over another kid's body. This was the second kid I killed since all this started. First was the little kid Jake and now this kid. I didn't even know his name. "we need to leave soon," as all I said to Gabby and Josh. I couldn't take killing another kid. I walked out of the room and left them they. I walked until I was alone. My back leaning against the wall I slide down to the floor. I drop my weapon and brought my hands to my face. I close my eyes and I see him there asking for help. But knowing I couldn't help him stirred something in me. I couldn't help him like I couldn't help Jake. But I helped Casey and Carmen. Right, that was good. I thought to myself it was good. I kept repeating to myself.