Unorthodox || Imagine Forty Eight [Part Two]

My hands gripped the coffee mug tightly, as my eyes carefully skim his body. It was so much different, it wasn't as scrawny and dorky, like it used to be; it was, he was buff. Not only buff, but completely covered in ink. I definitely didn't know how to feel or what to say. It'd been twenty minutes and neither of us really spoke. The air and strange void was to thick and awkward for the both of us.

"I really don't think you understand how long it took me to build up the courage to come in here."

Derek chuckled nervously, I just stared at him letting him continue. I had nothing to say, at least nothing very nice to say.

"I've been out for six months, and everyday since then, I drive by and see this place, and it's always busy; and I flinched at what I imagined your reaction would be like."

It was weird for me to sit in front of my old best friend and know that he was a convicted felon.

"I imagined that maybe you'd probably slap me, kick me, something and although you didn't do any of that, the look on your face; the look of disgust and regret hurt—way worse."

Derek tucked his head down trying to blink his tears away, and for the most part he was successful, and I wasn't gonna lie, that hurt to see.

"Why did you kill him? Why did you take somebody's son away from them?"

He scoffed and put his cup down. It was really apparent that the question struck a nerve.

"I think thats enough for the day, we can continue this tomorrow."

Derek got up, throwing some money down paying for his muffin and coffee.

"If you leave right now, please don't bother coming back. If you leave I will start the process of getting a restraining order against you."

I said as serious as ever, at least I know that the secretive part of him hadn't changed one bit. He huffed and took a seat looking out the window trying to word his next sentence correctly.

"You're gonna freak out and file a restraining order against me anyway, so I rather leave then have you think I'm some sorta freak."

I gave him a disappointing look and I was ready to burst in anger, and that's what I was gonna do.

"Are you fuc—"

I smiled but it wasn't for anything joyful, the one thing I developed overtime was some extreme anger issues and boy I wanted reach over the table punch the living fuck out of him.

"Really Derek? All throughout junior high and high school I was tormented, bullied and miserable because of you. I had to deal with the wrath of your sister and I still do and I can't get an explanation as to why you murdered someone? You're telling me I don't deserve an explanation as to why you were sent away and I had to cry myself to sleep every night, because that can't be what you're telling me. Am I right? I know you're not telling me that I went through all that shit for nothing?"

I knew that people were staring and I didn't blame them, although most of the customers were regulars, they've never seen me cause a scene.

"Alright since you wanna know so bad I'll tell you."

Derek lifted the leg of sweats to reveal a tattoo of my face with my hair down and a flower crown made up of gardenias and jasmines.

"Yeah that's you and I got that as soon as I got outta jail. Why, because I'm in love with you, I'm obsessed with you and I have been ever since we were kids. The reason I killed Xan was because he was flirting with you and doing things that I didn't have the courage to do, he was calling you beautiful and promising you prom when I thought of you as my wife; so I killed him and yes I regret taking someone's son away and out of this world but I'll never regret falling in love with you."

Speechless, I was speechless, I mean what the fuck do you say to that?

"Oh my god, I'm—"

He cut me off and he just gave me a hug, and for some reason it was comfortable, it was like no matter how confused I felt, there was some underlying connection between us two. It felt like he felt my pain and I felt his.

"I know it's crazy of me to still want a relationship and a life with you but if I have to work at it for the rest my life, then so be it."

I put my hands up, gesturing from him to slow his roll, I wasn't sure how to respond but, there was this sense of closure that was needed.

"I don't know about all that but I'd love to become friends and talk about this, I'd love to listen to you part of the story."

Derek smiled and with that smile a small "I'd like that," escaped from his lips and we talked and talked for hours on end. Yes everybody was curious and couldn't wait for this to be the topic of the week but it was very irrelevant to the both of us.

// excuse the errors, I didn't bother to spell check or anything.