CHAPTER-8

He stood before me like a shield, hiding me away from the shadow emerging on the face of the door.

"You dare to take my very precious possession." A note of deep annoyance resounded from the words spoken as that guy walked out through the shadow.

The guy who stood before me has his body stiffened in an alerting stance. I could see his featured turning hard.    "She isn't your possession, demon!"

Demon... Somehow I got a feeling that this wasn't just an angry name calling thing. It was far more serious than it was believable.

A vicious smirk spread on his face as he's looked at the guy before me with a deadly stare. "This night is of mine. Your kind has never a chance against it."

Your kind?

The guy shielding me slid his hand in his jacket's pocket, "We'll see about that." and suddenly pulled out a vial of water and doused it on that diabolical guy.

That guy's features turned bitter, giving him a deadly look. "You vermin!" He growled as black vapors started egressing through his body.

The guy in front of me smirked triumphantly.

Why did he douse water on him?!

"How long you think you are capable of stopping me vermin!" He spat venomously as his body soon started to fade.

"As long as you are willing to continue with this." The guy said defiantly, glancing at his back towards me.

"The thing that has to happen will happen. No one can stop me." That diabolical guy growled in a raging tone.

I stood there staring at his work with ambivalence of shock and perplexity until that diabolical guy vanished in the thin air with his last words for now. "I'll come back for you." There was a burning look in his eyes staring at me until he disappeared.

His words shook me to the core and suddenly I felt standing a very difficult task for me as my legs gave up and I sagged to the wooden floor.

That guy turned and squatted down to me in. "Don't be afraid of what he said."

"But he doesn't seems like the quitter to me. I'm very much sure he'll come again." My voice trembled as I tried to suppress my tears. "This is my fifth encounter with him till now."

"Then I'm here to protect you." His voice sounded earnest and my eyes that had been staring down till now lifted up to meet his brown orbs which were so mesmerizing that I remained captivated in them until a question crossed me.

"Who are you?" I whispered.

A gentle smile formed on his lips. "Well, my existence is beyond what you are aware of but now the time has come for you to know."

I frowned. "To know what?"

"About the world beyond your world. Where people like that demon and me exists." He said, gazing earnestly into my eyes.

I gulped. "He really is a demon?" I asked in a squeaky voice. "Shouldn't be he in hell?"

He nodded. "Demons feed on the negativity of humans. Pain, suffering and death of others make them stronger than they really are and help them to exist in your world too."

"But why he's after me?" A tear escaped my eye.

He looked at me with a sympathetic gaze. "You are even unaware about yourself too."

"Unaware of what?" I sniffed as I wiped my tear.

"Dark energy of this place is overwhelming we need to get out of here first." He said glancing all around and ignoring what I asked.

I just nodded and I was about to stand when he wrapped his arm around my back and slipped his hand under my knees. He lifted me up in his arms. "Your ankle is in no condition to be moved."

Dealing with that demon I forgot that my ankle was hurt and drenched in blood. I even forgot about my pain but now the pain at the remainder of being hurt erupted through all my foot again but serenity of his arms were helping me a bit to ease the pain. It was so tranquil that I leant my head on his chest.

As he walked to the door, my head filled with the questions.

Why was he helping me and he didn't tell me that who was he? He just said that people like him and that demon exist... then was he the one too...My stomach clenched with knots.
He couldn't be!

After all he was the one who saved me but still it wasn't reassuring me. My body stiffened as I realized the fear in me again.

"Is something the matter?" He asked as if sensing my fear.

"Wh-who are y-ou?" I stuttered.

"I'm Reuben." He said simply.

I hesitated but then asked. "Aren't you one like him?"

He stopped in his track and I regretted that I offended him but then I heard a light chuckle and looked up at his face. There was a soft look on him. "You got scared thinking that I was a demon too."

I didn't utter a word just gazed at his captivating face clueless about what to say.

"Let me assure you are safe with me as I'm not a kind like him." He assured me politely and continued moving towards the door.

"Then what kind you are of ?" I asked, biting my lips.

He smiled but there was something different about his smile. It wasn't enchanting as before. It was dispiriting. "I'm an Angel." He said as a resplendent light blinded me engulfing us inside it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Please vote, comment & share.