CHAPTER-52

The night was silent, very silent, except for the crisp wind of going winter wheezing, piercing the hushed ambience of the humongous castle splayed around the green view of well maintained trees and shrubs spread in four acres of land surrounding the castle.

The moon in the sky was hidden behind the dark clouds, making the night darkest of  any wintery night of the year.

In a farthest corner of the castle was a tall tower with a very large balcony attached to a huge room from where small whimpers could be heard.

In a colossal, mahogany bed a frail, beautiful figure of a girl was curled in a ball, her long silky hairs falling over her face, while her body shook as she cried over her ill fate.

Her one wrist was bound by a gold shackle to the bed with a very long chain, refraining her movements just to the huge room, lit by the oil burning in the gold lamps, she was trapped in.

A creak resounded as the large door was opened slightly. A girl in her early twenties, wearing a cheap peach color dress, trotted in, glancing her cautious eyes all over the room, until they perceived the frail figure shrank on the bed.

Her chestnut eyes moistened at witnessing the girl she had always seen with a gracious smile, like this.

Her golden hairs clutched in long braid swinging behind her, while she hurried her pace to the bed.

She stood over the edge, her heart wrenching for the girl she knew was kindest of all the royalties she had served to.

Sensing a presence, the girl crying, had her heart dropped. She lifted her head slightly to peek at the person she was anticipating, but seeing a glowing round face of a sweet looking girl, had her scooted up from her position.

They both looked at each other with tears in their eyes, and a little joy of finally seeing each other.

"Princess," not able to hold her miserable like this the girl broke in tear while she dived towards her in a hug.

"Marilyn..." Adriana sobbed as she took in the warmth of sisterly embrace she was receiving from her very good friend.

Despite the social difference, Adriana had always treated Marilyn as her friend and looked up to her like a sister. For her, Marilyn wasn't her personal maid, she was her friend, a very good friend.

This was the reason behind the Marilyn's valor, which was actioned by her princess's kindness.

Seeking the right moment, she snuck inside her room. It was a great risk, as the palace that once held by the righteous king, was now under the rule of the Greston kingdom, which ambushed the palace, beheaded the king, and took over the whole land of the Craesien kingdom by force.

Their were many few survivors of attack within the palace, and Marilyn was one of them. Some survivors within the maids of palace had no change in their lives except for losing their loved one in ambush and their ruler being changed.

They still carry on with their duties, but the fear was always present in their eyes. Because now their ruler was ruthless and feared. One mistake could mean noose around their neck.

The girls pulled back shortly, their faces red with all the crying, though tears were still running down their cheeks in stream.

"I am so glad you are alive," Adriana sniffed, smiling at her friend through tears.

Marilyn gave the broken princess an empathic gaze. "It makes me happy beyond words to see you, but I wished it wasn't under these circumstances." Her gaze lingered on the gold shackle around her princess's wrist.