CHAPTER-28

I stood at the porch in backyard, looking at Oliver soaking in the rain with spade in his hand as he smoothened the soil near the roots of the giant oak tree, peeking at the surface of the ground, stretched up to the roof, where he just buried his grandmother.

I looked over the sky. An hour ago it stopped raining but after his grandma was buried, it started again.

It seemed the sky was indeed crying, crying over the tragic death, crying over the unforgivable sin, crying over the boy who just lost his last loved one today.

He plucked the white rose from the flower bed circled across the porch and laid it on the fresh grave, staring at it with forlorn look.

I wanted to console him but wasn't able to come up with the words that were strong enough to soothe the grief of the great loss in his life.

I had been through that stage and
no consoles made a reason to come out from mourning state.

It was a heavy feeling, like all the weight of the universe was crushing you, contradictory to the void formed in your heart as the one who used to occupy it had gone on a journey where everyone had to be alone, no phone calls could be made, no messages or letters could be sent.

I stepped off the porch and walked to stand by him. I wanted to pay my respects to the dead.

I glanced to my side. He looked bereaved. Pain was evident on his lugubrious face.

It was hurting me more than anything to see him like this. I was missing his cocky grin, his childish mien, his optimistic self.

"Oliver..." I softly trailed, putting a reassuring palm over his shoulder while he stood there confining the sorrow within him.

***
It was too silent, and I wasn't liking it much. After putting on the white T- shirt that came down my mid thigh. I stepped out of Oliver's room. After giving me his T-shirt to change in for night, he walked off from his room.

I trotted down the stairs, looking around, watching for the sign of him, but they stopped at the entryway.

Front door was opened.

I walked over there and took a seat on the front steps beside him who was gazing at the dark sky lit up by the shimmering stars.

"You don't get to see such beautiful sky often in the cities." I tried, breaking the heavy silence.

He just gave a little twitch of his lips in response to my talk.

"Oliver would you be coming with me to mansion?" I asked, hoping for him to agree. Mansion wasn't safe for me anymore now as dad probably knew my location, but it was safe from Erebus.

"I'll drop you there tomorrow." He said.

A little frown appeared on my brow. "You aren't going to be there with me?"

"I've to be somewhere else." He told, still not looking away from the sky.

It wasn't my place to ask but I couldn't resist asking. "Where?"

Now he looked at me. "To a family friend."

"But Oliver, on your own he can attack you."

His jaw's muscle clenched and his palm resting on his knee, balled in a fist. "I'm the last of my family and he needed me so he won't dare to kill me."

"But he can hurt you."

"I don't care. I want to end his tortures." His voice had a valiant promise hidden in it that made my lips curved upwards in a smile.