CHAPTER-56

I stared at him, unable to form any word at his confession.

I did have a hint that he had a sort of infatuation over me, but love?

"It burns me like hell...when I see you with him," his voice shook with anger. "And last night, it completely burnt me."

"Oliver," my voice cracked as I looked into his eyes, "You are my friend, a friend that I never had before. I care for you. You mean a lot to me," I inhaled sharply. "But love is quite a big thing to claim."

"Not when you truly love someone," he looked into my eyes with furious intensity, boring me with his earnestness.

His words crumbled my heart. "Wish I could say the same thing...I'm sorry."

His face fell, he looked taken aback by my words, staring at me with hurt obstinate in his eyes. His grip on my wrist loosened, but I was too much caught in the pain of the moment to jerk him off me.

We both looked at each other in silence, with agony of our words ripping our chest.

A furious look casted on his face. He tightened his grip on me again. "I refuse to give up on you. I refuse!"

A look of disbelief crossed me. "Don't do this...Please don't"

"Don't do this?" He rhetorically asked, "I love you, Aurora. I'm making this better for you. You don't know about the heartache that comes with loving him."

His words stung me, bringing tears to my eyes, as I listened to his bleak words.

"You don't have any future with-"

"Stop spewing your trash!" I cried, wiggling my wrist free from his grasp.

"No! You have to listen to me!" His eyes bored into me as he completely flushed me against the window.

"I don't want to!"

"You have to!"

"Oliver," my voice took a threatening edge. "Let me go!"

"Let you go? How can I do that?" His voice came out thick, laced in overwhelming emotions.

His emotions, his breakdown, were pricking my heart with a guilt. I closed my eyes. "Don't be like that."

"Aurora," his breath brushed my cheek, making the twinge in my heart grow more painful. "Just let yourself feel my emotions."

My eyes searched his face for any sort of humor. I wanted this all to be a prank, but the gleam with which his eyes shimmered spoke all about the fervent his each claims were.

He loves me...If I would go deep in my heart, I could find nothing to give him a straight rejection. 

I was sure of my love for Reuben, there was no doubt. He had made me feel the intensities of every emotion- anger, fear, hate, love. It was all with him. 

But Oliver, I didn't know. He just never occurred to me as one. There was more to the friendship, if I would recall all the things he had done so far for me, but if I would go deeper, it wasn't about what he did, it was about the feelings with which he did. And now his apparent aversion for Reuben was making sense. He had loved me from the very beginning.

And now about my feelings, I was confused. I did feel a click in my heart when I first found him in that basement, spelled by Reuben, and after that day I connected to him more through the ordeals we had been through of losing loved ones.

I still didn't know what I feel, but a notion of him not being a part of my life, confusingly, saddened me.

And even though there was confusion, I settled to a conclusion for now...

I don't love him...

"I don't feel anything..." I spoke, trying to keep the hurt in my tone down. It wasn't true. I did feel something, but I didn't know what it was.

"You are pathetic liar," he looked straight into my eyes with a small smile making it's way onto his lips, as if mocking that how vulnerable my soul was that just gazing into my eyes he could decipher it all.

Anger rose in me as once again I gave him a sharp look. "I've told what I feel," my words got a warning note. "So now, better let me go, or one feeling about you will be certain... And that will be of pure hate."

I didn't want him to cling to an emotion that would never happen on my part. I loved Reuben and that was all I wanted. He had to just get over it, or it would bring him a lot of heart ache, and it would crush me to be the reason of his suffering. I didn't want him to hurt. He had hurt a lot in past. He didn't deserve it again.

He looked at me as if those bitter words meant him nothing. A small smile, almost hurting, made its way on his face as he looked at me with  vehemence. "Even your hate will do for me...After all, its an equally passionate emotion itself." There was a hint of cockiness in his words and a promise of not giving up.

I didn't know what I should say at his complete ignorance of my words...It was infuriating to not able to discourage him.

"If it is this you want, my hatred, then it's fine by me, because love isn't something I can give you."

Muscles in his jaw flexed, and his eyes darkened. But I was caught in my own furor to care for his anger.

His hands freed my wrist and he stepped back looking me with an unreadable gleam. "I don't care if you can give me love or not. Being with you is enough for me...and...you might not know it now or accept it now, but you do feel for me, you do, a way deeper than you let yourself."

He turned, speaking those words, trapping me again in some conflicts of my heart, and walked to the elevator, pushing the button on the panel, the door slid apart, he entered, and the door closed. Just like this he was gone, promising of not giving up on me.

I remained, riveted to my spot, staring at the doors that just closed, my heart squeezing with pangs at doubts his words begot in me. Not of the love I'd for Reuben, but the feelings I'd for Oliver.

What is it that I truly feel?

----------------------------------------------------
I know it's a short chapter but it was written before and due to being busy right now, I can't continue it. But it has been quite sometime, I've not updated. So this is for all my readers who waited eagerly.

I hope you like it.

Please vote, comment, and share.