CHAPTER-17

Whenever I closed my eyes, the images of an agonizing nightmare came flashing to me.

The nightmare that had sunk into the deep oblivion in my subconscious that I had before I jolted awake to be swept away from it by that unexpected kiss. After that kiss I felt so tranquil that I had completely forgotten about it but it came rushing back to me after my another encounter with Erebus... I shuddered as the memory of him almost getting me flooded back to me.

Terror in its pure form draped around me. My breathing hitched and I hugged my knees tightly against my chest. My breaths were choking inside me. I had to calm down. I had to breathe.

Breathe in

Breathe out

Breathe in

Breathe out

Breathe in

After calming myself down. I loosened my hug to my knees and let my muscles relaxed.

When that pain made me unconscious that nightmare repeated, surfacing itself in my memory back.

It wasn't a nightmare but a warning from... I again let in a deep breath. His name always stiffened me up with fear.

He could kill my family. He already killed one... My mom.

I bit my lip, suppressing the tears that were at the verge of falling.

She had to die just because she took a jinxed baby in. What my mother had to do with all this? She was just an innocent that got caught up with all the mess my existence made. I came in her life in the form of her death. It was always me that he wanted but what was so special about me even as a baby that Erebus...I again let in a deep breath...wanted me in a trade of bringing back my birth mother to life. I never felt anything special in me. What use I was to him? Why he wanted to make me his possession? Why couldn't he just let me go?

The door creaked open, pulling me out of my questions and I spotted, Reuben holding a tray containing bowl walking towards me.

Something triggered in my memory as my eyes fell on his face.

In my nightmare Reuben was mentioned by him about not telling me something about my mother.

"How're you feeling?" He put the tray near my side and the aroma of the hot soup wafted in air around me.

"Fine." I mumbled. Taking a seat on my bed before me, he picking back that tray stretched it to me.

I took it from him placed it on my lap.

He gave his one for those smile that started the fluttering in my tummy. "Are you feeling alright now?"

I nodded as I stirred my spoon in the bowl. "Reuben?" I called.

"Yes." He spoke softly, still that smile continuing on his lips.

My eyes looked sharply into his brown warming one. "Do- do you have any idea that how my mother died?"

His brow twitched slightly and there was a fraction of second something stirred in his eyes but in all the process his smile never faltering off. I would have missed such minor details if I wasn't observing him sharply.

"I don't know." He lied. I Just knew that he lied. There was some part of me that could sense that he lied. He told a white lie on my face.

"Don't lie Reuben." I snapped. "I know that Erebus is the one who killed her. He thought of my mom as hindrance. You know something then please tell me. The guilt of her death is already crushing me"