CHAPTER-42

With a gasp I shot up from my sleep, looking frantically around everywhere. My heart was thumping against my chest, its sound resounding in my ear like a beating pulse.

I was...I looked around... I was... back in Reuben's apartment.

Erebus' words from my dream were still fresh, eliciting the dreadful tremors to rake my body.

"I'm coming , my Aurora."

No!

"Aurora!" A hand came, wrapping around my back. "Don't worry. It was just a bad dream."

I looked to my side to find Reuben looking at me with worry, etching on his face. If it weren't for the dream, I would have continued to be mad at him, but no, I needed him at this very moment, I needed his touch.

Even after being the biggest of the biggest mean to me I felt safe in his arms, and I couldn't help this feeling.

I clung to him, my hands fisting the front of his shirt, my face buried in his chest, after a moment his arms came, wrapping around me.

My wet cheeks, drenched the fabric of his shirt.

"He said," I sniffed. "He's coming."

"Shh...he won't come." He caressed my back in a soothing gesture. "I won't let him harm you." His arms tightened around me.

"Don't leave me alone, not tonight." I pleaded through my tears.

"I won't leave I promise." He said serenely.

I reluctantly let go of his shirt, looking at him with my teary eyes. It was all dark inside the room, only the moonlight from the window was reflecting, falling over the bed, dimly lighting around me.

Reuben's eyes were softly looking at me, as he helped me to lay down. I laid on my side, my body still quivering, tears still trailing down my eyes, fear still wrapped like a cocoon around me.

"Sleep... I'm here." He assured, but the words weren't enough for me.

That dream, about that girl, that was supposed to be me was still fresh in my mind. I could feel her emotions, her fear, her pain, her vulnerability, like I was myself reliving that horror. She was angry, betrayed, and scared all at the same time, and lingering touch of Erebus or Wynward to that girl from my dream had the crawling sensations creeping to my skin, like it was me whom he touched, or maybe it was really me, reliving my previous self...?

I couldn't get that feeling of dread out of me, it was shaking every part of me, and those last words he spoke were intensifying my dread. The feeling of despair was eating me. I wanted to forget, but my mind seemed to stick at that memory.

The veins in my body were palpitating, while I felt my breathing getting choked. My chest was heaving in a rapid breaths. I closed my eyes shut, feeling the wetness squeezing out of my closed eyes. I curled up in a ball in an attempt to hide in myself.

I felt a soft grazing beneath my eye, making my eyes flutter open. Reuben laid beside, his body facing me, his thumb wiping my tears away.

His hand came, enveloping around my waist, pulling me to him, his body flushed to mine.

This proximity had its effect shown. The sinking feeling of despair I felt was dissipating into the tingling feeling that I always got near him.

I gazed into his eyes which had a warm gleam glinting them, keeping me captured, a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips was calming my panicking insides.

"Sleep now." He said softly, kissing my brow. "I'm here."

This small action set my body ablaze by a fire of longing. My chest spasming with the warm feeling as I closed my eyes and snuggled my body closer to him, forgetting about my biggest fear.