Chapter Five

Years later
Jack's POV

"Dad!" Wendy yelled, busting through the front door. Wendy is eight years old, she's grown so much.

"Yeah?" I yelled back. "Were you forgetting to do something today?" She asked, standing in front of me with her arms crossed.

"No I don't think so." I said after thinking a bit. "You forgot to pick me up from school." She said. Fuck.

"God. I'm sorry, I lost track of time." I said. "Dad. It's the second time this week!" She yelled.

"Don't raise your voice at me." I said, trying not to raise mine myself.

"Fine. Whatever. I have homework." She mumbled and walked off to her room.

So, I call Alex.

"Hey!"
"Hi. Would you mind coming over?"
"Did you forget to pick her up again?"
"How'd you know?"
"Because I always drive by the school to see if you've picked her up and I saw her sitting on the curb. I brought her home."
"Can you come and talk with her? She's not listening to me. Or I guess she is, she just doesn't want to talk."
"She doesn't have to. You just talk to her, and if she wants to answer your question then she will."
"How do you always know what to do?"
"Dunno. But seriously. Go talk to the kid."
"Okay, okay. I will. See you soon. Bye."
"Bye."

I made my way down the hall to Wendy's room. I heard her listening to Fall Out Boy.

I knocked lightly and opened her door. She looked up at me gave me a small smile and went back to her work.

"Hey." I said. She looked up and waved.

"Listen. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've been such a bad father. I'm sorry I forgot to pick you up from school again. I'm sorry I haven't been the best. But damnit I'm trying." I said.

"I understand that you are. But the school told me to tell you that if you forget to pick me up again, they're gonna call the police." She said. "And I don't want that to happen. Daddy, I love you and I don't wanna get taken away." She said.

"You're not going to get taken away. I'm not gonna ever let that happen." I said and sat down with her. I glanced at the stuff she was doing.

"The fuck is that?" I asked, pointing to a work sheet. "Math." She said. "Shit I gotta go I can't help you with that." I said and ran out of her room.