Part 7

I'd just finished writing about the bowling trip, so decided to make myself a cup of tea. I boiled the kettle and offered around, but no one wanted a cup of tea. Mark was editing the last highlight video, as before the UK they'd been to Australia and New Zealand. Tyler and Jenna were in their bunk, scrolling through Twitter, Josh was in the bathroom and Michael was napping. 

I'd brought my own teabags, just in case the bus didn't have any, and was glad I did. It turned out that the Americans didn't drink tea like I did, not understanding the importance of a good old English cuppa. 

Josh walked into the lounge/kitchen area, throwing himself onto one of the sofas. He yawned, covering his mouth and running his fingers through his messy hair. It was a faded pink colour, his naturally brown roots showing through.

"I should really re-dye my hair. What colour would you suggest?" He asked me, glancing up at my own dyed hair. 

I stirred milk into my tea, before turning around and sitting across from him on the other sofa. 

"I mean, ultimately it's up to you, but what about something like... purple again?" 

"I'd forgotten you were a fan and that you knew everything about me, including my height," he winked at me, referring to the day before, when I'd mentioned what the internet said about his height.

"I'm kidding," he chuckled, noticing my flushed cheeks and embarrassed face. "I think we're stopping for food soon, we should pick up some hair dye while we're at it." 

He looked at me, waiting for me to agree. 

"Sounds good, I might get some myself. I feel like a change."

"Sick! I'll tell Michael."

...

When the bus stopped, the group walked into Nando's. We were seated in a large booth, all of us managing to fit around the one table. I was sat in between Josh and Jenna, slightly squashed. I wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, so I didn't complain. 

Someone came over to take our orders, and then we were left. 

"So what is your preferred nickname? Seeing as you don't like being called Elizabeth?" Ben, twenty one pilots' Sound Engineer, asked me from across the table.

"Honestly, Liz, Lizzie, I don't really mind." I smiled, thinking it really kind of him to check with me. I'd been with these people for just over twenty four hours and they really seemed to want to treat me like family. 

"So Liz, why don't you tell us about yourself?" Michael asked. 

"Okay, well, I've lived in England with my mum my entire life. I'm an only child, so I've never had a big family. I have a cat called Molly." 

I noticed Josh's eyes light up at that. 

"I taught myself how to play the ukulele when I was a little bit younger, but I really can't sing."

"What music do you listen to?" Tyler asked.

"Well, I listen to pretty much anything, but chart music these days is really cringey." I pulled a face. "But my favourite bands are probably Paramore, and this band called twenty one pilots, I don't know if you would've heard of them." 

Josh laughed. "They sound awful."

We all smiled in amusement, and just then our food arrived. 

...

When we'd finished our meal, we all walked a little way down the road towards a supermarket. Josh and I headed straight to the hair care aisle, whereas the others all roamed around aimlessly, picking up chocolate and Red Bull on their way.

"Lizzie, should I go for Perfect Purple or Violent Violet?" He held up two boxes of almost identical hair dye. 

I pretended to give it deep thought, scratching my head as if I was truly puzzled.

"Hmmm... I don't like the sound of 'violent' anything, so go for the Perfect Purple." 

Josh put back the other hair dye, and scanned the shelves once more. 

His eyes lit up.

"Do you trust me?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"Why? I've only known you for a day. Are you going to murder me?"

He giggled adorably. "Maybe. No, I want to pick your next hair colour."

I tilted my head.

"What if you make me look stupid?"

Josh pouted, jutting his bottom lip out. 

"I promise I won't. Please? If you don't like it, you can..."

I cut him off with a sigh.

"Fine."

He jumped up and down excitedly and shooed me away, out of the shop so that I couldn't see what he was buying.