Part 26 - Josh's POV

I'd been sat by Lizzie's side for a week now, and she still hadn't woken up. The doctor's were keeping her in a medically induced coma, just in case there was any brain damage. 

Her head was wrapped in multiple layers of bandages, and her skin was scarily pale, but somehow she still looked beautiful to me.

The only times I left her side were to use the bathroom and to shower on the bus, which was just outside the hospital. 

We'd flown her mum out a few days before, after we'd called her to tell her what had happened. She was using the tour bus as a temporary home, but she barely left her daughters side either. 

We didn't speak to each other, we just sat in silence, holding one of Lizzie's hands each. The others would pop in occasionally to check on me, but I wasn't doing that great. I refused to leave which meant that the tour had had to be postponed, and the fans weren't happy. 

The girl who had attacked Lizzie had been arrested after multiple witnesses had described her. She'd told the police that she was jealous of Lizzie, for being able to spend all of her time with me and the band. 

It made me sick. How could someone claim to be fans of our band, and then deliberately hurt the people that meant most to us?

"Josh?"

My head whipped up. Lizzie's mum was looking at me. Ever since she'd gotten to the hospital, she seemed to have shrunk. She looked tired and upset. I knew I probably didn't look any better.

"I've been meaning to thank you," she continued. "Your band brought my daughter back to me." 

Her eyes filled with tears. "You know, when my husband died, Liz took such good care of me. She treated me like a china doll. I was so caught up in my own grief, that I forgot that Liz had lost her dad. And she was so strong for such a long time. But she broke. She was in so much pain, and I couldn't get through to her for so long." 

She paused to flash me a watery smile. 

"But then one day, she comes running to me with this huge smile on her face. She says, "Mum! You need to listen to this!" And it was one of your songs. I just remember bursting into tears. It was the first time she'd spoken to me in almost a year. And it was all thanks to you." 

She started crying again, so I walked to her side of the room and wrapped my arms around her gently. 

"I can't lose her again, Josh. I just can't."

We sat like that for ages, knowing that nothing could be said to diminish the sadness in the room. When her tears finally dried, she turned to me once again.

"You love her, don't you?"

I nodded. "More than anything."