Prolouge

Light.

The natural agent that stimulates vision, what we see when all hope was lost.

Dark.

Little to no light, the endless shadow that suffocate us.

I fell towards the darker side of things.

I've done things that I regretted and I've seen horrible things that I should have stopped.

Maybe that's the reason I'm cursed. Terrible things have always happened to me. I am simply.....misfortunate.

My family is the reason I loathe myself.

My mistakes are the reason why I don't sleep anymore.

My regret is the reason I have no hope.

I did this to myself.

I am the one who ruined me.

It wasn't anyone's fault but my own as that I lay here. My blood was seeping through my jacket and staining the sands of the dessert, a brilliant shade of red.

"I can't control it anymore. You have to put me down." I rasped out. My hand clutched over my stomach. "Fury, please!"

My vision was fading as I felt my life ebbing away and yet I heard nothing from my so called savior.

The smell of blood, ash and dirt drifted around me, settling onto my skin and clothes. I could hear the screams, the agony of those who I called my comrades. Now they burned.

The dessert sun had slipped away hours ago, leaving being a beautiful sky dotted with brilliant stars.

"Hang in there, Maya." I could hear someone say into my ear. The earpiece crackled to life, a small ray of hope. "We're coming to get you out of there, Agent. Just stay awake."

Stay awake?

There were things I could do but staying awake was almost impossible at the moment. The darkness was seeping in, and I was afraid that if I closed my eyes that it would never stop.

I turned my head, staring at the burning structure. The flames climbed up to the sky, trying to reach the stars. I could feel the heat radiating from it, the souls of who I killed compelling me to join the inferno.

I looked back up to the stars. Everything was going dark but at least the stars were beautiful.

I closed my eyes and drifted away.

A sliver of peace was too much to ask for.