32

Loki and I made our way through the casino as I scanned the crowds looking for our target.

"I don't like this." I said.

"I know, darling." Loki smiled politely at a waiter as we passed him by. I was tempted to down a flute of champagne. "But this is our job."

"I hate you," I said as I found our target. I plastered on a smile as I let go of Loki's arm.

"No you don't, Maya."

"Perhaps."

---------

Hours later I was still sitting at the bar with Mr. Zhou who was graciously drunk as I drained the information from him.

I kindly excused myself, brushing past his guards as I met up with Loki who leaned against the wall next to a mirror.

"What did he say?" He said to me.

"He's only a little fish," I said reapplying my lipstick. "He gave up some names, mostly because he kept on bragging about selling drugs to the Triads."

"The Yakuza?"

"Nothing to it." I said with a frown. "But he's given the information we need."

"Should we go then?"

"Yeah," I said, scowling. "I hate how he looks at me. Think you can get us out of here without being seen?"

Loki placed an arm around my shoulder and snapped his fingers transporting us back to our hotel room. I muttered my thanks, cursing Agent Richards and Mr. Zhou for the shitty mission. I had the urge to punch something and I was lowkey hoping that Mr. Zhou and his minions would be willling volunteers.

Oh well.

Nothing we can do about that.

I stepped into my room and started to change. First I kicked off the heels not caring where they landed as I stripped out of the dress and pulled on some sweatpants that I packed.

My feet were aching and my body was too tired to go and take a shower so I promised myself I'd just write the report when I was on the plane. I stretched my arm out to set an alarm on my phone which was on my nightstand.

Instead I felt a sting.

I pulled my hand back to see a small cut on my index finger.

"A paper cut?" I said out loud . "What the-?"

I turned over, turning on the light to see a folded envelop on the nightstand with my name written in familiar handwriting.

I felt my stomach drop as I felt that familiar chill of fear slither up my spine. The room which had been so warm now felt like I had opened a window, letting in the winter air.

I knew--I fucking knew it.

My worst fear was confirmed as I opened the envelope.

The first words were:

Dear Maya,
We have your mother.