2

When I got into the chopper with Fury, I could feel a despairing feeling in my gut. The rain and thunder didn't help to calm my nerves either.

I watched as The Raft sank back into the sea as we gained altitude. We headed due southwest towards New York. Soon that depressing rain led to clear skies. The white clouds floated below us, endless as the ocean below that.

As we started to descent, the clouds gave way to the New York City skyline.

"It's quite a view, isn't it?" Fury said next to me. I blinked and shook my head, I had forgotten what a city really looked like.

Civilization looked.....new.

"It's been a long time, Director."

"In about an hour, we'll be approaching the S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters in DC.  There you'll be undergoing you psychological and physical examinations. After that you will meet your new team, they will protect from whoever wants you and in turn they'll also train you for missions. It's a simple exchange."

"Missions?" I asked as I ripped my eyes away from the view and shot a glare at the Director who looked out the window. "So I'll have to go on your missions and in exchange these guys will protect me?"

He didn't say anything as the city gave way to the country side.

It was the same thing for an hour until I could see Washington DC.

Eventually, a facility came into view with the SHIELD insignia on the top. No wonder these morons got attacked. They put their logo on everything and then they call themselves a secret agency.

I snorted at the irony. For a secret agency, they really weren't that secret.

Eventually we landed and Fury being Fury, didn't hesitate to get down before the chopper even landed. I was struggling as I tried to get the harness off. Eventually I did and then I took off in the direction of Fury.

"Keep up, agent!" He said without even looking back at me.

"Agent, huh?" I unzipped the upper half of my ehite jumpsuit, exposing my black top. I tied the sleeves around my waist as I followed Fury.

"From this day on, you're an agent of SHIELD."

We entered the building and were instantly filled with people on all sides of me.

After five years of isolating myself of any human contact, it felt odd to see so many people all at once. What I didn't expect was my heart to start racing and my palms to start sweating. My knees wobbled slightly as I temporarily lost track of Fury. He disappeared within a sea of people.

I didn't feel like I was there at all. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, ignoring the hairs on the back of my neck that were standing up.

I had to control my breathing and my heart rate. 

"Agent!" Fury turned around and waved at me, noticing how lost I was. Next to him was a man in a white coat handing him papers to sign.

"Ah! Director Fury! I have-" a wild eyes man with blue eyes and graying hair came up to Fury handing him files. He wore a long white lab coat with the SHIELD insignia on the back "I've pulled up her medical records and-"