38

The snow fell over New York on a lazy November afternoon.

Stark Tower had already been decorated with Christmas lights as had the rest of the city. I sought refuge in my room to escape the smell of Pumpkin Spice and Christmas carols that left a sour taste in my mouth.

This would be my second Christmas with the Avengers and here I was dreading the oncoming holiday.

'Miss Maya, Welcome back," J.A.R.V.I.S. said, "You have several missed calls from an Emilia Crowly in the past year. Would you like to call back?"

"No," I said, unbuttoning my shirt and stepping over my bags. "Block the number."

There was a moments pause and I thought J.A.R.V.I.S. was going to say something else but instead he accepted my request leaving me alone to my thought and to a nice warm shower that I severely needed.

Several fights with the lingering members of the Anwar Clan had been a tedious battle that left me tired. I had to break bits and pieces off till the entire command had come crashing down. Thre had been times I had been tempted to simply kill every member that I came into contact with. Director Fury had been resistant when it came to me leading my own task force against them but it had been Natasha (surprisingly) who strongly suggested that I lead them because I knew the Anwar Clan best.

A year later and multiple missions of taking down an organization that had zombie soldiers and was headed by members that had been experimented on by my own father, I finally came back to Stark tower.

I fulfilled the promise I made my father and even if it was the hardest thing I had ever done, it was finished. I could put this down and end this chapter of my life.

I suppose I could say I came back 'home' but it didn't feel like a homecoming.

I walked into the lounge area expecting the constant chattering of the Avengers only to be met with silence.

Nobody was there, Loki had decided to slink off somewhere leaving me alone in the tower.

I walked up to the fridge opening it as I rummaged through hoping that there was something unhealthy to eat.

"You know," someone said behind me. "It's rude to rummage through someone's fridge."

I flinched having my head against the roof of the fridge.

"Son of a-"

"Language!"

"Har, Har." I said turning to face Tony. "Very funny, Stark."

"Welcome back," he said holding up a card and a bouquet of daisies. "It's from the team. They left for a mission earlier today."

"Well," I shrugged. "I wasn't really expecting much of a homecoming."

I grabbed an apple from the counter top and sat on one of the bar stools as Tony prepared us some drinks. It was too early to drink but who cares, i didn't care about my code or rule right now.

"So........," Tony starts as he places a glass in front of me. "J.A.R.V.I.S. told me that you blocked your mother's number......."

"If this is how this conversation is starting I'll just finish my martini in my room," I said with a deadpan.

"Look, I'm not the best with advice-"