Chapter 18 - A day in town with Orlando

Seborga and Orlando stood outside of a Cobbler's store waiting for Feliciano as he picked up a pair of shoes he had the cobbler repair. The two didn't enter the store due to Orlando eating gelato and they didn't want him to make a mess inside the store, so Seborga volunteered to wait outside with the toddler. However that wasn't the only variable that influenced Seborga's enthusiasm to wait with Orlando, he loved spending time with his nephew, but Orlando also made really good 'chick bait'. Every few minutes or so a girl would stop in her tracts to admire the cute little dark brown auburn as he smiled up at Seborga with gelato in his hands; his little sticky hands and face made him almost irresistible. Seborga was very happy that Orlando was enjoying meeting all the nice girls as much as he did, except he was more interested in getting their numbers than Orlando was. Feliciano skipped out of the store with a smile on his face and his fixed shoes in a cardboard box; he giggled at Orlando's messy face and passed him a handkerchief.

Feliciano: wiping Orlando's face with the handkerchief
What a~should a~we do a~now a?

Seborga: looking around
Hmmm? Maybe a? (Looking over at Feliciano and Orlando) Anyone a~hungry a?

Orlando: jumping up and down
Eriza is!

Seborga: smiling
Intendevo hai fame ? (I meant are you hungry)

Orlando: tugging on both their hands
Si!

Orlando walked in between Feliciano and Orlando while swinging both their arms and slightly lifting himself off the ground for a few seconds. Much to Seborga's delight they continued to get admired by girls as they walked past, Feliciano didn't mind being checked out by pretty girls too; Orlando truly was a humble little 'chick magnet'. The three seated themselves at a table under an umbrella coloured in the Italian flag's colours right beside a stone café and ordered a Margherita pizza with a jug of lemon water. A table that sat directly opposite of them had five girls all admiring the trio, they called the two Italians over and left Orlando sitting in his chair oblivious to what was happening as he watched the clouds peacefully float by. A little orange and black patterned butterfly floated with the breeze past Orlando's captivated green hazel eyes, putting him in a trans and jumping down from his seat excitedly running through the crowd chasing after the little insect. He squeezed past people with a skip in his step and a playful giggle streaming from his enlarged smile without a thought of Feliciano or Seborga; he was lost in his own little world while wonder cobbled streets. Orlando followed the butterfly to the begging of an alleyway, but the butterfly took flight to the clouds and left Orlando watching its beauty as it began to vanish. A sudden thud cause Orlando to abandon enjoying the heavens and lay his lively eyes on a body that was struggling to crawl back up on their knees at the end of the alley, so Orlando ran up to help. As he approached he realised that it was a man covered in dirt and small patches of blood, but he wasn't alone. A man approached the man that was lying on the dirty cobblestone street and begging for mercy, but instead the man began to punch and kick the man on the ground causing him to gasp and curl up.

Orlando: running to help the man on the ground
Uomo cattivo! (Mean man)

Stefano: giggling over at Orlando
Il tuo sta per essere salvati da un bambino ! (Your about to be saved by a baby) Non è questo simpatico Giovanni ! ? ! (Isn't this cute Giovanni)

Giovanni: glancing over at Orlando and then growling up at Stefano weakly
Lascialo stare... (Leave him be)

Stefano: glaring at Orlando evilly
Giovanni sei stato un buon amico per tanto tempo, il minimo che posso fare è non lasciare che si muore da soli ! (Giovanni you have been a good friend of mine for so long, the lest I can do is not let you die alone)

Giovanni: spitting at Stefano's shoes
Il vostro il diavolo ! (Your the devil) Spero che si bruciano ! (I hope you burn)

Stefano kicked Giovanni in the rip cage once more and spate on his bruised face before turning his attention back onto Orlando who was holding his ground and sticking his little fists up in a boxing stance. Stefano admired the youth's bravery with a playful smirk before mirroring his posture, he figured that why not allow the foolish child enjoy his final seconds of life before he delivers a life ending blow to the temple.

Giovanni: straining his voice
Correre! Non combattere qualcosa che non si può vincere ! (Run! Don't fight something you can't win!)

Orlando: fixing his eyes on a branch behind Stefano
Sono un Smarty ! (I'm a smarty) E forte! (And strong)

Stefano: looking over at Giovanni
Vedere vecchio amico , che può contenere fino a una lotta ! (See old friend, he can hold up in a fight)

As soon as Stefano faced back at Orlando he received a reasonably strong whack at the back of his head from Orlando standing behind him holding a now broken branch. Stefano quickly held the back of his head and rubbed at it to sooth the pounding pain, Orlando took his chance and began to run out of the alleyway screaming for help and to signal his uncles. It didn't take long for Feliciano and Seborga to finally find him as they had been looking for him for a while, they saw what was happening and stood frozen with fear. Orlando tugged at their hands to encourage them to help, but they weren't the type to get involved in fights; he realised that they were no help other than an audience so he charged back in. Feliciano tried to chance after him, but suddenly the earth began to shake; a person in the street somewhere yelled out 'Earthquake!' They all jumped down against the ground laying their bodies straight, except Orlando continued to run over to Giovanni, so he gathered all the strength he had remaining and pulled the boy down while semi covering him under his battered body. The quake lasted for almost half a minute, but it felt like an hour to everyone as the prayed that the alleyway the laid in wouldn't open up and swallow them all whole. As soon as the quake ended and it felt stable, Stefano jumped to his feet and bolted out of the alleyway without saying a thing; Giovanni breathed a breathe of thanks as he watched his cowardly and 'inhuman' exfriend flee. Feliciano and Seborga jumped back on their feet once they waited for Stefano to vanish into the crowd, they ran over to Giovanni and Orlando to see how injured the man was.

Seborga: pulling out his phone
Resta ancora , io chiamare un'ambulanza (stay still, I will call an ambulance)

Giovanni: smiling up at Orlando
Il tuo eroe ! (Your a hero)

Orlando: rapidly swaying his head to disagree
Alfie è ! (Alfie is) Sono una di oliva ! (I'm a olive)

Giovanni slightly giggled with little oxygen in his lungs and then reached his had to his neck, slowly pulling out a small silver cross on a necklace and tugging it off over his head before placing it over Orlando's neck.

Giovanni: smiling
Si prega di tenerlo. (Please keep it) Pensate a come segno di amicizia ! (Think of it as a sign of friendship)

Orlando held the silver cross in his small hands and rubbed it a little to see his reflection in it.

Feliciano: unsure
Sei sicuro di voler fare questo signore? (Are you sure you want to do that sir)

Giovanni: nodding with a smile
Mi ha salvato la vita , io sono sempre in debito con lui . (He saved my life, I'm forever in his debt) Voglio che la mia piccola figlia crescere senza il padre . (I don't want my little daughter to grow up without her father)

Feliciano: nodding his head
Capisco! (I understand)

Orlando: putting out his hand offering a handshake
Orlando Marcello Vargas!

Giovanni: shaking his hand with a smile
Giovanni Piero Agazzi!

==================================================================================

This chapter was inspired and in honour of those who lost their lives, homes, family members to an earthquake that struck Italy late August this year, 2016.

Thank you for reading!

~BlueTimeFly