Chapter 3: Pack Mentality

I was at my locker grabbing stuff for my first two classes when I heard my name being called, "Maddie!" I turned and saw Scott and Stiles run over to me. "Where's Allison?!" They both asked at the same time.

I glared at them before rummaging through my locker, "How are you, Maddie? Oh, I'm great, how about you? I'm also great, thanks." I said before closing my door and they were both still staring at me, "I don't know where she is. I woke up late so I assumed she came here without me."

"Shit." Scott muttered.

"Why? What's wrong?" I questioned.

"We think Scott killed her." Stiles answered and my eyes widened,

"What?!" I yelled and Scott covered my mouth.

"I had a dream last night where we were on a bus and I ended up killing her." Scott stated.

"The bus this morning." I mumbled, Scott taking his hand away,

"Exactly. And she's not answering my texts. So I think my dream might have been real."

I glared at Scott, "If I find my sister dead, I am sooooo killing you, werewolf boy."I began walking down the hallway away from Scott and Stiles, on the lookout for my sister.

"Attention, students, this is your principal. I know you're all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses. While the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as scheduled." The principal said over the speaker and I heard kids groan. 

I sat down in Chemistry and Scott walked over, "She's fine."

"She's not the one I'm worried about." I glared at him.

He held his hands up in surrender and sat a few seats away from me. "Maybe it was my blood on the door." Scott whispered.

"Could have been animal blood. You know, maybe you caught a rabbit or something." Stiles answered.

"And did what?"

"Ate it."

"Raw?" Scott questioned.

"No, you stopped to bake it in a little werewolf oven. I don't know, you're the one who can't remember anything." Stiles sarcastically answered.

"Mr. Stilinksi, if that's your idea of a hushed whisper, you might want to pull the headphones out every once in a while. I think you and Mr. McCall would benefit from a little distance, yes?" Mr. Harris said.

"No." Stiles protested before the two boys stood up and moved to different seats.

"Let me know if the separation anxiety gets to be too much."

"Hey, I think they found something." Harley announced and we all went over to the window where a man was being brought to an ambulance by a gurney.

"That's not a rabbit." Scott muttered to Stiles.

The man abruptly sat up and scream and we all jumped while Scott took a few steps back. "Okay. This is good, this is good. He got up, he's not dead. Dead guys can't do that." Stiles said to him.

"Stiles... I did that."

The next night I sat in Allison's room with Lydia, helping Allison pick an outfit for their double date. Allison was going through her closet an pulled out an ugly shirt and showed it to Lydia and I.

"Mmm, pass."

She pulled out another one, "Pass. Let me see." Lydia got up and went through Allison's closet, "Pass. Pass. Uh, pass on all of it. Allison, respect for your taste is, uh, dwindling by the second. How are you and Maddie even related?" Lydia said before grabbing a sequined black top, "This."

I saw someone walk into the room and I looked up to see dad, "Dad, hello?" Allison asked.

"Right. I'm sorry. I completely forgot to knock." Dad smiled.

"Hi, Mr. Argent." Lydia greeted.

"Dad, do you need something?"

"I wanted to tell you that you and Maddie be staying in tonight." Dad said.

"What? I'm going out with my friends tonight." Allison exclaimed.

"Not when some animal out there is attacking people." Dad responded.

"Dad, dad, I'm-"

"It's out of my hands. There's a curfew. No one's allowed out past 9:30 P.M." Dad said before turning and leaving the room.

"Someone's daddy's little girl." Lydia smirked.

"Sometimes. But not tonight." Allison replied before putting on a beanie and going over to the window and opening it. Lydia and I both watched as Allison went onto the roof and jumped, doing a flip before landing on her feet.

"What are you doing?"

"Eight years gymnastics. Are you coming?" Allison asked.

"I'll take the stairs." Lydia answered.

Wanting to be out of the house, I took a walk. As I reached the woods, it began to lightly rain. Walking for about five more minutes, I found myself in front of the burnt Hale house.

"What are you doing here?" I turned around and came face to face with Derek.

I shrugged, "I don't know I was just walking, and I ended up here."

"Come on. It's not safe out here alone." Derek grabbed my hand and dragged me into his house.

We went up the creaking stairs and into a burnt up room. Everything was black, the walls, the floor, the dresser that sat against the wall. Derek handed me a dry shirt and I went over to the dresser, setting my jacket down on it and lifted my soaking wet shirt off my body. I felt eyes on my back, but I knew it was Derek so it didn't alarm me. Once I put on his black t-shirt, I turned around.

"What?" I smiled when he didn't move.

Downstairs, I heard the front door slam. "Derek! I know you're here! I know what you did!" Scott yelled.

"I didn't do anything." Derek stated, knowing Scott could hear him.

"You killed him!" Scott yelled in response.

"He died."

"Like your sister died?" I heard creaking and I knew Scott was walking up the stairs.

"My sister was missing. I came here looking for her."

"You found her."

"I found her in pieces, being used as bait to catch me."

"I think you killed them both. I'm gonna tell everyone, starting with the sheriff." Scott said, reaching the top of the stairs.

"Stay here." Derek whispered to me and he left the room.

I heard grunting and a roar, which I assume came from Scott. After hearing the whole fight scene going on downstairs, I heard Derek speak and I began to walk down. "I didn't kill him. Neither of us did. It's not your fault, and it's not mine."

"This? This is all your fault! You ruined my life!" Scott exclaimed.

"No, I didn't." Derek replied.

"You're the one who bit me."

"No, I'm not."

"What?" Scott asked.

"I'm not the one that bit you." Derek said.

"There's another." I stated and Scott looked over at me.

"It's called an Alpha. It's one of the most dangerous of our kind. You and I, we're betas. This thing is more powerful, more animal than either of us. My sister came here looking for him. Now I'm trying to find him. But I don't think I can do it without you." Derek said to the boy.

"Why me?"

"Because he's the one that bit you. You're part of his pack. It's you, Scott. You're the one he wants."