Chapter 19: Betrayal

I've been avoiding Derek since that night at the ice rink. He broke his promise, he flat out told Scott that it was all about power. But when I talked to Scott about the wolf with the purple eyes, he said Derek had a hunch about what it was.

I didn't want to talk to him, but I had to. I need to figure out what exactly I am.

I made my way to the abandoned subway station where Derek and his pack were staying. I walked down the first few steps but froze when I saw Erica, her legs wrapped around Derek, kissing him. And he wasn't pushing her away. In fact, it looked like he was kissing back.

Issac looked up at me and I shook my head, turning around and going back up the stairs as I wiped my tears away.

No, I refuse to cry because of Derek.

Allison begged me to go to the game the next day. So I went to keep my mind off of Derek. Currently, our team was being pummeled by a single person on the other team. He was huge and was injuring all of our other players.

Stiles went to go find my grandfather's bestiary, and when he didn't come back after ten minutes I went after him. I found him in the office, looking through the drawers, "What's taking so long?" I asked.

"I can't find it!" He exclaimed.

I heard footsteps behind me and saw Erica, "Hello, Stiles." She looked over at me, "Maddie."

"Bitch." I growled.

She grabbed Stiles by the ear and glared at me, "Follow or I rip his ear off."

"Ah! Ah! Ah! Oh." Stiles groaned as Erica led us to the pool, 

Inside was Derek holding a basketball, "Stiles. Maddie."

"Derek." Stiles and I said at the same time.

"What did you see at the mechanics garage?" Derek asked.

"Uh, several alarming EPA violations that I'm seriously considering reporting." Stiles answered before Derek deflated the basketball, "Holy God."

"Let's try that again."

"All right, the thing was pretty slick looking. Um, skin was dark. Kind of patterned. Uh, I think I actually saw scales. Is that enough? Okay, because I've somebody I really need to talk to -." Derek gave him a look, "All right, fine, eyes. Eyes are, um, yellowish. And slitted. Um, has a lot of teeth. Oh. And it's got a tail, too. Are we good?" Stiles asked.

Both Derek and Erica were staring at something above us. I took a few steps forward and looked up, seeing exactly what Stiles described. "What? Wait, have you seen it? You have this look on your faces like you know exactly what I am talking about."

Stiles looked up and the lizard thing hissed at us. I pulled Stiles to me and the thing jumped down in front of us. It pushed Erica to the wall and knocked her out, causing me to smile.

"Run!" Derek yelled, pushing me back.

There was a stinging sensation on my neck, but when I felt it there was nothing there. I looked over at Derek and I noticed a scratch on his neck, "Derek, your neck!" Derek felt his neck and began to fall, Stiles catching him.

So... this thing can paralyze people. I pushed the two so they began running, well, running as fast as Stiles can considering Derek weighs a lot. "Where is it? Can you see it?" Stiles questioned.

"I can smell it. Please hurry. Call Scott!" Stiles grabbed his phone, but it slipped out of his hand. As Stiles dived to grab his phone, he let Derek go and he fell into the pool, "Stiles, you son of a-!"

I took my shoe off and watched the lizard go near Stiles. I quickly threw my shoe at it and it hissed at me, "Stiles, jump!"

Stiles went into the pool and the thing came towards me. I had my other shoe ready. "Maddie! Get in the pool now!" Derek yelled at me.