Chapter 22: The Morning After

I groaned as I woke up, feeling a soreness between my legs. "Morning, sunshine."

I let out a small yelp, seeing Derek next to me in my bed. He was naked from what I could tell, but thank god the sheets were covering his junk. "Did last night really happen?" I asked.

"It certainly did." Derek smiled, kissing my bare shoulder.

I jumped when there was a knock on my door, "Maddie? I'm leaving in five minutes. If you're not downstairs by then, you're walking to school."

"Shit." I mumbled, jumping out of bed and grabbing my underwear, putting it on.

Quickly grabbing a shirt, a pair of jeans, and some boots, I put them on and rushed to brush my teeth before grabbing my bag and running downstairs, not even saying goodbye to Derek.

Sitting in the car, I thought about last night. I lost my freaking virginity last night. To Derek Hale. I felt happier, brighter, like I can do anything.

"What's got you smiling?" Allison asked.

"Nothing." I replied.

"Oh come on. I don't need to be a werewolf to know that you're lying."

"Fine, but you can't tell anyone, especially our parents, understand?"

"Completely."

"Derek and I had sex." I stated.

"What!"

After school, Allison dragged me to the reserve to meet up with Stiles, who had Jackson chained up in the back of a police van. "They know."

"What?" Stiles askde Allison

"They know Jackson's missing." She responded.

"No, they can't. I've been texting his parents since last night. They don't have a clue." Stiles said, holding up Jackson's phone.

"My grandfather told me his parents went to the police. They know."

"Oh." Stiles ran over to the door and turned on the police radio,

"All available units proceed to Beacon Hills Preserve as instructed. Proceed with caution until Sheriff Stilinski's arrival. Proceed with caution." A man over the radio said.

Allison, Stiles, and I got into the van and Stiles dialed Jackson's dad, "Where are we going?" I asked

"Somewhere very far from this." Stiles answered, dropping the phone on the ground and taking off.

We drove farther into the reserve, on a cliff. Stiles called Scott and he came as fast as he could, "If Jackson doesn't remember being the kanima, he's definitely not gonna remember stealing Danny's tablet." Scott stated.

"Why would he steal the thing if he doesn't even know what's on it?"

"What if someone else took it?" I suggested.

"Then somebody else knows what he is." Stiles stated.

"Uh, which could mean someone's protecting him."

"Like the bestiary says, 'the Kanima seeks a friend,' right?" Allison asked.

"Okay, hold on. So, somebody watches Jackson make a video of himself turning into the Kanima, and then just erases part of it so he wouldn't know? I mean, who would do that?"

"Somebody who wanted to protect him?" Allison suggested.

"There's something else. You said the only thing you found online about the Kanima is that it goes after murderers. What if that's actually true?" Scott said.

"No, it can't be. Tried to kill all of us, remember? I don't know about you two, but I haven't murdered anybody lately." Stiles replied.

"But I-I don't think that it was actually trying to kill us. Remember when we were at Isaac's the first time, it just went right by us, didn't it?"

"You're right, it just ran off."

" And it didn't kill you in the mechanic's garage." Scott said to Stiles

"Well, yeah, but it tried to kill me, Maddie and Derek in the pool." Stiles said.

"Did it?" Scott questioned.

"It would've. It was waiting for us to come out." Stiles replied.

"What if it was trying to keep you in?" Scott stated.

"Why do I feel so violated all of a sudden?"

"Because there's something else going on. We don't know what it is. We don't know anything about what's going on with Jackson, or why someone's protecting him."

"'Know thy enemy'. Just something my grandfather said." Allison quoted.

"All right, I got it. Kill Jackson. Problem solved." Stiles said.

"He risked his life for us. Against Peter, you remember that?" Scott said.

"Yes, but what did we just find out? He got the bite from Derek. It's funny how he just got exactly what he wanted by supposedly risking his life for us, it's funny." Stiles replied.

"Yeah, it doesn't mean he's not still worth saving." Scott argued.

"It's always something with him, though." Stiles responded.

"He doesn't know what he's doing."

"So what?"

"So, I didn't either. You remember when I almost killed you and Jackson? I had someone to stop me. He has nobody." Scott replied.

"That's his own fault."

"Doesn't matter. If we can save him, we should try." Scott said.

Stiles and I went to go check on Lydia, and when we came back, something bad happened. The back of the police van was wide open, and there was no Jackson in sight.

We found Scott and Allison in the back of the car sleeping. "I have to tell my father. Scott. He's going to kill someone." Allison said.

"Okay, tell him. Tell him everything." Scott encouraged.

"Scott, I gotta tell mine too." Stiles said.

"This is all my fault." Scott stated.

"It's not. But we have to tell them. We're just a bunch of teenagers. We can't handle this." I replied.

"You're right."

"How you gonna make your dad believe all this?" I asked Stiles

"I don't know." He answered.

"He'll believe me." Scott replied, turning to us with golden eyes.