Chapter 18: Broken Promises

I gasped, opening my eyes. I laid there for a moment, staring up at the trees. I was in the woods again. In the exact same spot as last time. My side was throbbing and I felt dried blood. There was no mark, but there must've been a wound there at some point within the last few hours. I looked around and found an arrow in the leaves. I picked it up and studied it closer.

It was Allison's arrow.

"Allison?" I exclaimed, looking through the locker room, "Allison!"

"Maddie?"

I turned around and saw Allison in her gym outfit. I ran to her and hugged her, "You're okay!"

"Did Scott tell you?" She asked, "I told him not to worry you."

"What happened exactly?" I questioned.

"There's a new werewolf in town, I think. I was just lucky enough to have my bow with me." Allison explained.

"What did it look like?" I asked.

"Like a wolf."

"Then how did you know it was a werewolf?"

"Because of its' eyes. They were purple."

I went to class after that. I attacked Allison, well, at least tried to attack her. But how come I can turn into a wolf, like an actual wolf? Scott and Derek can't, but I can.

The class was distracted when we heard an ambulance siren coming to the school. Apparently Erica had a seizure and was taken to the hospital.

I was sitting at lunch with Allison and Lydia when everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at the door. The three of us turned to look, too. My eyes widened when I saw Erica walk through those doors. Little, shy Erica was not so shy anymore.

She was a very tight, short skirt with a white tank top and a leather jacket. On her feet were leopard print high heels. She had no sign of acne on her face and her hair was perfectly curled.

Erica leaned over a table and grabbed a boy's apple before biting into it. "What...the holy hell...is that?" Lydia questioned.

"That...is Erica." I answered.

She smiled at the boys before walking out. "What happened to her?" I asked.

"Derek happened." Scott answered.

Scott, Stiles, and I followed Erica out of the school. She got into a car, a very familiar one. Derek turned to us and smiled. I growled and Scott put his hand on my shoulder, "You okay, Maddie?"

"Fine." I answered, going back inside.

I texted Derek that night, asking him to meet me in my room. After dinner I went up to my room and saw him sitting on my bed. I closed my door and sighed, "We need to talk, Derek." I stated.

"What about?" He asked.

"You." I answered, "Your betas."

"You're not jealous about Erica are you?" Derek smirked.

"Course not." I lied.

"I can hear your heartbeat, Maddie." Derek took a few steps closer, "I know you're lying."

"Okay, so maybe I am. But that's not what I wanted to say." I replied.

"So what do you want to say?"

"Don't turn into Peter." I stated.

"What?"

"Your uncle. He was obsessed with power, Derek, you know that. And it was the death of him. I just don't want that to happen to you. Promise me, Derek. Promise me that you won't let the power get to you." I said, walking up to him.

"It's not about the power, Maddie. I promise." He kissed me, "I will not turn into Peter."

After school the next day,  I went to the ice rink where I heard Scott was going to be to find Boyd. I stood in the shadows as I saw Derek and his pack walking onto the ice.

"Did Derek tell you everything? And I don't just mean going out of control on the full moons. I mean everything." Scott asked Boyd.

"He told me about the hunters."

"And that's not enough for you to say no? Whatever you want there's other ways to get it." Scott said.

"I just wanna not eat lunch alone every day." Boyd replied.

"If you're looking for friends, you can do a lot better than Derek."

"That really hurts, Scott." Derek stated, catching the two boys' attention, "I mean, if you're going to review me, at least take a consensus. Erica, how's life been for you since we met?"

"Hm. In a word...transformative." Erica growled and her fangs came out.

"Isaac?"

"Well, I'm a little bummed about being a fugitive, but other than that, I'm great." Issac answered.

"Okay, hold on. This isn't exactly a fair fight." Scott stated.

"Then go home, Scott." Derek smirked and the two betas walked towards Scott.

Scott punched the ice and made a crater, he looked up and he was wolfed out, "I meant fair for them."

It didn't take much for Scott to beat the crap out of the two inexperienced betas. "Don't you get it? He's not doing this for you. He's just adding to his own power, okay? It's all about him. He makes you feel like he's giving you some kind of gift when all he's done is turn you into a bunch of guard dogs!" Scott exclaimed before sliding Issac and Erica back over to Derek.

"It's true. It is about power." Derek stated and I let out a small gasp, causing him and Scott to look towards where I was standing.

Derek's eyes turned red and he began walking towards Scott. No way Scott could take an Alpha on. As Derek began to punch Scott, I shed my jacket and dress before I felt myself turn.

*Third Person POV*

A wolf slid across the ice, tackling the Alpha to the ground. It roared in Derek's face, and his red eyes disappeared. The wolf got off of Derek and he backed away, freaked out.

Scott moved towards the wolf and it spun around, growling at him.

"Who are you?" Scott asked.

The wolf let out a little huff before turning around. Everyone on the ice watched as the wolf walked away.