Chapter 14: Welcome Back

I watched as Derek left my room once again. It's been another week, and I've been able to keep my temper down. I haven't had any claws or glowing eyes appearing randomly, lately. My parents stopped visiting, and I remember the nurses telling them I was breathing on my own, so I had hope. But they didn't care.

I followed Derek through the halls of the hospital. I watched from the entrance as he kicked the wall, frustrated. "I'm sorry, Derek." I stated.

Turning back, I began walking through the halls again. Like a ghost. If I don't wake soon, I'll be just that. A ghost.

Going back into my room, I saw Allison. She was sobbing. "Alli?" I questioned walking towards her.

"I need you, Maddie. You can't leave me. You can't leave us."

"I don't know how!" I exclaimed, "I want to stay, but I don't know how."

The door opened and my father walked through, "Allison, time to go."

Allison stood up, looking angry, "She's your daughter! And she's dying!"

"She betrayed this family."

"So? Maddie is still your daughter." She replied.

"That's why we have a second daughter. Just in case one dies." Dad stated.

"Wow, dad. Just wow." Allison said, shouldering past him. Dad stood there, staring at me. He came over and kissed my head before leaving.

"Just talk to her, honey." The nurse said the next day to Derek.

"It doesn't work." He replied.

"And how do you know that?"

"Because she hasn't woken up yet." Derek answered.

"She needs to hold on, hon. And by hearing your voice, she knows to keep fighting." The nurse replied, leaving.

Derek sighed, rubbing his face with his hands. "I miss you." He stated.

"I miss you, too." I replied.

"I miss your smile, your laugh," Derek chuckled, "You hitting Stiles or Scott when they were being stupid."

I laughed and Derek grabbed my hand, "I don't just miss you, Maddie. I love you." I gasped. He said it back. Derek rubbed his hands on his jeans before standing up, "I'll be back."

My breaths became shortened, I looked to my right and saw Alexis staring at me as my vision began to blur. "Bye, Maddie."

What was happening?

I gasped and sat up, breathing heavily. My senses were being overpowered. I could smell the bad hospital food and hear the nurses gossiping down the hall. I gripped the sheets of the bed and groaned. My head ached.

I got up and walked into the bathroom connecting to my room. I splashed my face with cold water and looked at myself in the mirror.

I screamed and backed into the wall. My eyes were purple.

I walked out and saw Derek standing in my room, "Maddie?"

"Derek." I mumbled, falling to the floor.

He quickly caught me and picked me up. I kept my eyes closed, fearing my eyes would glow. I gripped Derek's shirt and breathed in his scent. Derek put me back on the bed and smiled,

"Welcome back."

"Derek?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you, too."