9

After an awkwardly silent car ride, I finally got Naomi and I to school and felt a burden lift off my chest as we got out of the car. I was worried sick about my dad, and being around him made me more anxious, so it was a relief to know I could focus on something else for eight hours.

When we both got inside it was still a little while before class started so Naomi insisted on us going to the cafeteria so she could eat breakfast. Even though I didn't plan on eating anything else until lunch, I followed her into the breakfast line anyways. I can't believe she'd willingly eat this junk, it all smelled like something they'd serve in a prison hall. Even the stuff that was supposed to be good, like French toast, looked suspicious.

"It was nice of Jupiter to try to protect us last night. The kid is growing on me. He's kind of like the package you know? Good looking, smarter then average and brave," Naomi said as she scooped something that looked like eggs onto her plate.

"Yeah, I guess. Are you sure you don't want me to just drive us to McDonald's or something? That stuff is probably safer to eat, which I think says a lot," I said. Naomi just shrugged as she loaded up her plate.

"I rather just eat here. All this stuff is paid for anyways on our meal accounts; I rather use mom and dad's money then my own." She informed as she finished piling gunk on her plate and made her way to the cash register.

"Good morning girls, I hope all is going well," The lunch lady said, trying to sound peppy but I could tell she didn't really want to be here.

"Good morning," I said politely as Naomi remained silent while typing in her student number. After she finished typing in the number, we both turned to walk away but the lady cleared her throat.

"Try the number again honey, it didn't work," She said. Sighing heavily, Naomi turned back around and typed it in again.

"I always type the number to fast for my own good." She muttered to herself before looking back up at the lady. "Did it work this time?" She asked and the lady shook her head.

"No, it didn't. Let me pull up your name." She decided, her voice no longer peppy.

"Okay...its Naomi Williams," She said as we shared a glance. I really wasn't surprised the number wasn't working; the technology at our school was outdated.

"Spell it for me," The lady said, and Naomi sighed heavily.

"N-a-o-m-i space W-i-l-l-i-a-m-s." She spelled, not bothering to hide her annoyance as the lady typed in carefully. A deep frown appeared on her face.

"That's weird; you're not showing up in the system. Hmmm...it's probably a fluke..." She then went quiet for a moment before shrugging. "Eh, what does it matter if I give away a free meal or two," She said as she waved us off. "Have a good day girls." At the unexpected gift of free food, Naomi's face brightened, and she thanked the lady before we took a seat in the cafeteria.

For the next half an hour after that the two of us discussed our failed attempt to get back at Pluto and how the lingering smell of apple cider vinegar from Pluto spilling it on us was driving us crazy. It really did stick to you and every time I breathed in, I got a big whiff of it.

Pluto was going down ten times harder for that.

We just couldn't decide what to do about it yet. As we parted ways for class though, I promised her that I'd try to come up with a plan or two. Homeroom would be the perfect place for that. The only thing that required my attention was role call; everything else was just morning announcements.

So, with a swimming mind of not so great revenge plans, I took my usual seat in the middle of the classroom as my classmates scrambled around for seats. Once everyone was seated the teacher began to call out names. Absentmindedly, I waited to hear mine while I fiddled with my pencil. I was going to have to do something Pluto wouldn't see coming, something that would humiliate him, but it couldn't be something that would have extreme repercussions on me. It was going to have to be subtle but memorable.

"Alright, now that we're done calling role let's get onto the morning announcements," The teacher said as she stood up and I frowned. I don't remember hearing my name called, I must've missed it and I didn't want to be counted as absent.

"Ms. Phillips, I don't think you called my name," I said, and she looked over at me in annoyance.

She did not like to be interrupted.

"Are you sure you weren't just paying attention?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yes ma'am. I don't want to be counted as absent," I said as politely as I could. Sighing, she sat back down and pulled up the role call. A moment later she frowned.

''Your last name is Williams, right?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah," I said, feeling an unsettling feeling stir in my stomach once again.

"Hmm...That's odd...your name isn't on my list...it should be..." She then typed something on the computer. "Don't worry, I'll make a note and fix it later." She decided and I nodded.

If I wasn't being counted absent, I didn't care what she did. I just wanted to make sure I got the credit for dragging myself here. 

_______________________________________________________________________
Hey guys! Sorry for the short chapter, its more of a filler really to help me build up the plot! I was supposed to work tonight but ended up calling in lol. Now I'm watching old movies and waiting for my brother to get me ice cream.

OH BY THE WAY I GOT A PART IN THE MUSICAL FIDDLER ON THE ROOF :D

-Mari.