13

"We don't need to run, those are our parents! Let them in!" Naomi demanded as the banging on the door continued for a moment more then became quiet. Badly I wanted to agree with my sister, badly I wanted to scream at Pluto and Jupiter and tell them they were crazy, and even more wanted to call the police but I had a feeling deep down there was nothing I could do to stop what was coming.

"Naomi, I...I don't think that's mom and dad." I admitted, feeling my knees wobble at the alarming silence.

"It's mom and dad Abigail, what are you talking about?" She asked as she began walking towards the door, but Pluto stepped in front of her.

"Naomi, go upstairs and get Gemma, we're wasting time. We need to go, now." He ordered, which made her look back at me nervously.

"What's going on Abigail?" She asked meekly.

Before I could answer though we heard a loud click on the other side of the door. "Get down!" Jupiter shouted and immediately pushed us down before gunfire rained on the front door, tearing the wood to shreds.

"Why are they shooting at us?!" Naomi screamed, covering her ears and squeezing her eyes shut as I wrapped an arm around her to protect her from any stray bullets.

"We're going to die! Do something!" I shouted at Pluto and Jupiter above the noise and they shared panicked looks with each other.

"I don't have a gun Jup!" Pluto yelled above the gunfire and Jupiter stared at him with a hard expression before swallowing thickly as the sweet, innocent look in his expression turned dark.

"Go! Take the girls and Toby, get them out of here! We can't let them get her!" He yelled back, briefly looking over at me and I felt my heart skip a beat. What did he mean by that? Was he talking about me?

"I can't leave you! I won't! Let me stay! You take Abigail and the others! I can't protect them!" Pluto insisted, making Naomi and I share terrified looks.

"You can do it Pluto, don't be scared!" Jupiter reassured as he then pointed to the stairs. "When I count to five, I need you three to run upstairs and get Gemma! I'll cover you!" Jupiter ordered in a deeper, more dominating voice, practically sounding like a different person. Sweet or not, there was no way I was getting up.

"If we get up, we'll get shot!" I screamed at him, hoping this was a lucid nightmare. The only thing that kept telling me this was real, was the icy terror I felt inside. Whoever those people were outside the door meant business and it seemed like they were going to kill us. I didn't want to die, and I didn't want Toby, Gemma, and Naomi to die. Especially Naomi, I didn't want to watch my baby sister die.

"No, you won't! Just trust me! They're about to come through that door and if you don't get upstairs, they'll kill you! Stay with Pluto! He'll get you guys out!" He screamed back as Naomi shook her head fast.

"No, no, no! I'm scared! I don't want to get up!" She begged, sobbing now as she gripped onto me. For a long moment I held my breath as I looked between Jupiter, Pluto and the door. He was right, that door was almost down and when they got in here it was going to be bad. You didn't have to be a genius to figure that out.

"If you don't listen to us Naomi you're going to die!" Pluto yelled as he shook her arm. In response she just clung to me tighter. He was right, right now might be our only chance and Naomi wasn't getting up unless I did.

"Okay, okay! Let's do it! On the count of five!" I decided. Nodding, Jupiter prepared to stand up, while Pluto grabbed onto Naomi and we braced ourselves to run to the stairs.

"One..."

My heart was in my throat.

"Two..."