40

After multiple attempts to come up with a plan, we gave up on trying to cross the river and decided to walk around it. According to Mercury's satellite maps, there was a place to cross, it was just a few miles out of our way. With the impending risk of the Minds catching us though, we decided it would be better to stay hidden in the woods instead of going back to the train tracks. For an hour or two after that we walked, then when everyone's resolve finally melted away, we decided to set up camp so we could get some rest.

Once again, I found it hard to sleep, but this time it was because I was upset about Henrie. No, not upset, devastated. I had failed in my promise to protect him and take care of him. He didn't deserve to go that way; he was a good Tinker who had everyone's best intentions at heart. Not wanting the other to hear me quietly whimpering about it though, I decided to go for a short walk after everyone had fallen asleep.

Mars was up keeping watch, but I managed to sneak past him.

When I felt like I was a good distance away, I leaned back against the nearest tree and slid to the ground as I let the tears roll. I missed things the way they were. I missed my camera, I missed getting up early for school, I missed watching cartoons with Toby, I missed Henrie, and I missed Mac. Life had been turned upside down so fast, the past felt foreign to think about. The only thing keeping me somewhat sane right now was the promise I might be able to save my family.

Perhaps after that and after we took down Titan, things could somewhat go back to normal?

I know they would never be the same, but just to be close to that would be incredible.

Fighting the urge to bang my head against the tree trunk, I began messing with the necklace I had hidden in my pocket instead. I was mad at first that Pluto had given it back to me, but now I felt comforted by its smooth stone between my fingers. I wonder where Venus was. I wonder if she was feeling the same way I was right now, and I wonder if I would ever find her. If we couldn't beat Titan tomorrow, then she would be our last prayer.

I hope she was ready for that.

Sniffling, I laid my head back against the tree. Maybe she had been the one I saw in that weird vision? Perhaps she was reaching out to me and trying to send me a message. I wonder if she had anything to do with the Robbies leaving us alone? Even if she didn't, it was a comforting to think that someone was looking out for us.

"You're becoming quite the rebel sneaking off." I then heard a soft voice say. Gasping, I looked up to see Jupiter hovering over me.

"Jupiter! You can't sneak up on me like that. Why are you here?" I asked as I quickly shoved the necklace back into my pocket and wiped away my eyes.

"I could say the same for you. What are you doing out here? Its not safe," He said, offering me a hand and when I grabbed it he pulled me up.

"I needed a moment alone, away from everyone," I said, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Away from Pluto to?" He asked, a bitter edge to his voice.

"Well yeah, I'm pretty sure he qualifies as everyone." I muttered, wishing Jupiter would go away, but I knew he wouldn't unless I came with him.

"Hmm. I would've thought otherwise after seeing you two suck face on the train." He remarked, looking at me with an accusing stare. Suddenly, I began to feel my strong annoyance towards Jupiter rise.

"That's none of your business. How about you go back to camp and leave me alone. I don't want to talk to you," I said, turning away from him but he grabbed me by my arm.

Hard.

"I told you Abigail, I'm not a traitor, I'm on your side," He said harshly, making me wince. However, I fully intended on standing my ground.

"Then why am I having a hard time believing you? After everything that's happened, I should trust you, but I don't. There have been a lot of inconsistencies with you lately." I insisted, pulling back on his grip.

"Just because my behavior isn't consistent doesn't mean I'm a traitor." Jupiter frowned, then pulling me into him. "Look, maybe the reason you're feeling the way you do is because of all the stress you've been under." He suggested, making my anger increase.

"Go away Jupiter! I don't want to talk to you!" I snapped. Instantly, his whole composure changed as I felt his fingertips dig into my arm.

"I won't go away Abigail. No matter how hard you try to push me away, I will always come back. Even if you don't want me there. Do you understand that?" He asked, his voice going lower than I've ever heard it before. The odd thing was though, I've heard that voice before. I couldn't quite place it though, and that terrified me.

"Let me go Jupiter." I insisted, trying to keep my wavering voice strong. Then, remaining in the same disposition, Jupiter released me with a heavy sigh.

"I'm sorry Abigail, I think I'm just really tense from what happened earlier. I've never seen the Robbies respond to a voice command like that before," He said. Shaking my head at him, I rubbed my throbbing arm.

"I don't know. All I remember is hearing a high pitch sound then having some sort of vision. When I woke up, I was on the ground," I said. Tilting his head, Jupiter stepped closer to me.

"What kind of vision?" He asked. Feeling goosebumps rise on my skin, I decided telling him was a very bad idea.

"I don't remember. It happened fast," I said, backing into the tree trunk.

"I think you're lying Abigail," He said, nearly closing the distance between us.

"Jupiter you're scaring me. Why are you acting like this?" I finally whimpered, strongly debating if I should scream for Neptune or not.

"I'm acting perfectly normal Abigail; I think your just stressed. It's been an eventful night. Especially with that kiss," He said, making me frown.

"Jupiter are you jealous?" I asked in surprise.

"Of course, I'm jealous Abigail," He grabbed my chin. "Because you were mine first." He titled my head to the side and leaned down to press his lips to my ear. "You'll see, you'll all see. Soon." Jupiter then let go of my chin and stepped away before exhaling. "Well, I think its almost my turn to take watch, so you should probably be getting back. Go along," he said gesturing for me to go along.

Taking a shaky breath, I quickly turned away and limped back over to the campsite quickly. Once I did, I quietly laid down beside Pluto and buried myself in his side.

I had no doubt in my mind now, Jupiter was a traitor.

And in a way, he scared me more then Titan ever could. 

======================================================================================================================================================

Hi guys! 

So, since this story is eligible for entry into the Watty's, I think I'm going to give it a shot this year! That means I have to finish the story in less then a week, so hopefully you can expect some more updates soon. :)

Mari.