11

"Mom! Mom, where are you are?" I yelled at the top of my lungs as I looked away from the wreckage and towards the woods. The car was completely empty, and the interior was cold, so it had to have been abandoned hours ago. Why was it over here? She never took this road; she hated it because of the deer. And if she got into an accident wouldn't she have called the police?

"Abigail, Abigail stop shouting, your causing a scene! What's wrong? Why are you calling for your mom?" Pluto asked as he climbed out of my car as well and ran over to me, looking genuinely concerned.

"That's her car...it's her car...the car...she isn't there..." I breathed, feeling panic grip my chest as I whipped my head around, searching the woods for any sign of her. If she got into a wreck, where was the other car? And if she hit a deer wouldn't it be dead somewhere? Wouldn't she have had someone tow the car back home? Why were all the windows smashed? It wasn't just the windows though, the car had deep scratches and dents all over it in odd places. It couldn't have been a deer.

"Okay...Okay...shhhh...it's alright. You're positive it's her car?" He asked, grabbing my shoulders to pull me closer to him and I nodded fast. "Okay...alright...it's okay...stay here...just stop shouting please..." He said, as he then broke away from me and went over to the car. A minute later he came back, looking more worried than before. "There's no blood and I don't see any damage to the interior of the car. Maybe she's okay, try calling her and I'm going to place a call." He decided as he pulled out his phone while running his hand through his hair. He looked scared, like really scared.

Deciding not to question it, I nodded and with a wobbling bottom lip, I pulled out my phone as well and stepped back over to my car to call her. At first it seemed like she was going to answer the phone but right before the final ring she did.

"Hello," She said, sounding perfectly fine to me. Thank goodness.

"Mom? Mom, where are you? Are you okay?" I asked in a rush. For a long moment there was a pause on the phone, and then she started laughing. Why was she laughing? Couldn't she tell I was upset?

"Of course, I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" She asked, abnormally chirpy, especially considered the situation with my dad. Frowning, I pulled the phone away from my ear for a moment to make sure I had dialed the right number before pressing it back to my ear.

"Your car it-" I began to say but she cut me off quickly.

"Nothing but a run in with a deer, I'm fine," She said, her voice firmer this time. Almost like she was annoyed?

"Okay...um...What about the car?" I asked, rubbing my arm. Why did I feel like I was in trouble right now?

"I've called a tow truck to take it to a shop. Stop asking questions Abigail and come home," She said and before I could argue she hung up.

"Is she okay?" Pluto asked, finishing his phone call as well and I gnawed on my bottom lip.

"I don't know, she says she is, but she sounds weird.'' Even with that in mind though, I could still feel the panic about her well-being subside. "We should go home, she said she called a tow truck and I don't want to be in that guys way." I decided.

"I don't know, maybe we should wait here just to make sure he comes," Pluto said, sounding hesitant about leaving.

"You can if you want but I'm going home. She sounds ticked off and I don't want to make her more ticked off. Especially since she has to meet with the principal tomorrow." I reminded as I got into the car. For a moment more Pluto lingered near her car, and then he got into my car.

"I really think we should stay with the car. Just to keep it safe." He mumbled. Instead of bickering with him though, I chose to ignore him and that was precisely what I did for the rest of the drive home. After getting a scare like that I was eager to get home and make sure everything was okay.