21

At first, the thought of staying in the room with no windows was uninviting, but as time passed it felt like the only place in the house, I was safe. Everywhere else in the large home was to open and inviting for unwanted guests. I felt like, in the dark room, none of those things could find me and take me with ease.

It had been three days since Jupiter told me my family was gone, and naturally I was devastated. I had woken up every morning my whole life, knowing I was going to see them, knowing I was going to school, knowing what I was going to do after school and now I had no idea what to expect. If I had Gemma, or Toby, or Naomi here with me, then maybe it would've been easier. Even having Mac here might've made everything easier.

So, instead of trying to brave my new situation on my own, I stayed in the room with no windows, hidden in my camouflage jacket and beneath the covers. The only one I would barely talk to or allow in the room, was Jupiter. I didn't trust the others and each time I thought about Pluto's empty promise to protect us I felt uncontrollable anger. I know it wasn't him who took my family, but he could've prevented it. He promised to protect us, and he didn't. It was easy to blame him.

"Abigail...hey Abigail..."

With a heavy sigh I rolled over to see Jupiter standing in the doorway of the room with his hands in his pockets and a seemingly sympathetic look on his face. Or I at least I thought so, I wasn't sure yet if they could genuinely feel emotion.

"What?"

"Neptune made some food, how about you come downstairs and eat with us? It'd do you some good to get out of the room." He suggested.

Shaking my head slowly, I turned away.

"No. Leave me alone." I mumbled as I pulled the covers back over my head. Sighing heavily, he walked into the room and sat down at the end of the bed.

"Come on Abigail. I know this is hard on you and you need time, but I'm not going to sit back and watch you lose your good health. It'll be good for you to have some company," He said, shaking my leg softly. Biting my lip hard to keep myself from saying something mean, I pulled my leg away from him. "Abigail," He said, his soft voice firmer as he pulled the covers down to see my face.

"What?" I grumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"I want you to come downstairs and eat. It's not an option, it's an order. Come on," He said as he ran his fingers through my hair to brush it out of my face. Squeezing my eyes shut, I buried my face in my pillow.

"Please don't make me." I begged.

"I'm only going to because I don't want you to get sick. You have my full permission to mourn but I want you to do it in other places besides bed," He said as he then tugged off my covers completely and with a frustrated sigh I sat up and grabbed for them.

"I don't want to go down there Jupiter! Leave me alone!" I finally snapped, irritated he wouldn't just let me be.

"I know Abigail, I know, but some food will make you feel better," He said, much calmer then I had been expecting. Pursing my lips, I sat up fully and hugged my knees.

"No." I repeated firmly.

"How about for five minutes? Five minutes is all I'm asking," At first, I was going to hit him with my pillow, but instead I took a deep breath.

"If I go down there...for five minutes...will you leave me alone?"

"If that's what it's going to take." He shrugged. With that agreement in place, I decided peace was worth five minutes of discomfort.

"I look horrible." I commented as I climbed out of bed and tried to comb my fingers through my mangled hair.

"Your welcome to take a shower if you want." Jupiter offered as he held out his hand and I took it for comfort as we left the room. Outside the room the entire house was lit up with sunlight from the recently risen sun and the smell of cleaner was still lingering in the air. It gave the place a nice homey feel. Instead of focusing on that I was more curious about the shower.