|Wroetozerk| Insomnia

Edited: 20/9/16

-

Silence.

Harry drew in a deep breath, frustration making his fingernails dig curved marks into his palms. The faint hum and buzz of the washing machine downstairs was the only sound that rang through his ears. Harry closed his eyes slowly.

It was always like this. Sleepless nights that went on forever; never ending. Despite how tired he was, it was impossible to sleep. Clenching his jaw, Harry threw off the bedsheets and sat up in just a few quick movements. The warmth of the soft material left his body; vanishing in a couple of heartbeats.

Harry crawled ungracefully off his bed, trudging into his en suite. He squinted his eyes to adjust to the sudden yellow light that burst from the ceiling. He gazed unblinkingly into the mirror, his face devoid of any emotion.

"I look like shit," Harry muttered hoarsely under his breath. His skin was pale and dry, lips cracked and faded. His cerulean eyes were dull and sad, rings of tiredness surrounding them. His unkempt hair was sticking together in messy clumps. Harry heaved a sigh, disgusted at his own reflection.

A familiar ring that came from his bed caused Harry to look away from the mess that was himself. He quickly switched the light off, padding back to his bed and snatching his phone from his bedside table.

"Harry?"

Harry felt his muscles relax at the soothing, recognisable voice. He closed his eyes for a brief second. It was almost as if his worries were beginning to fade away at just the melodic rhythm of Josh's voice.

"Josh."

"Were you asleep? Sorry if I woke you up, I know how har-"

"No. I was awake."

Josh fell silent for a second, scavenging his mind desperately for something to say. This wasn't like him. He always prepared and had something comforting to say to the insomniac, something that would bring a smile to his face or help just the slightest.

Josh couldn't help but notice how hollow Harry had been recently. He could tell just in his voice. It was emotionless and raspy. Sympathy made him frown as he realised how difficult it must be for Harry.

"How do you feel?" Josh murmured reluctantly.

"Tired."

"I mean, other than that?"

"Hungry."

"I can get you something to eat if you want-"

"Josh. It's 4:30 am."

"Yes. It is."

Now it was Harry's turn to hesitate.

"No one goes for a Nandos at this time."

"You said you were hungry."

"Yes. I did."

"Well then, I'll see you in 20 minutes with some food."

Josh stared at his thumb that hovered above the 'end' button. Something prevented him from pressing it.

"Stay. I like the sound of your voice."

"What?" Josh tried to play it off coolly, when really he was blushing. He was glad Harry couldn't see him right now.

"I'm lonely. Don't leave."

"Okay."

-

Harry stared at Josh blankly. Of course they see each other plenty of times, but whenever they were alone together, the atmosphere in the room was noticeably different.

Josh smiled sweetly. Harry loved his smile. It wasn't a bullshit smile. It was genuine and truthful; filled with warmth and all the other cheesy words like that. It made Harry's heart quicken, which wasn't exactly a pleasant thing.

"Good morning," Josh grinned, handing the tired boy the warm brown bag of food. As the aromatic scents flooded Harry's senses, he heard his stomach growl loudly. But Harry knew he was hungry for something else.

"Thank you." Harry placed it dismissively on the coffee table.

"Harry-" Josh began, but Harry cut him off quickly.

"Josh."

"Yes?"

"I love you. Like, love you."
Josh gazed at the other boy weirdly. He's probably drunk. Or maybe the tiredness is messing with his head? Perhaps too much coffee.

"That escalated quickly..." Josh glanced around the room carefully. There was no signs of alcohol anywhere. Josh gulped. Harry stared as his Adam's apple bobbed.

"Are you not gonna say anything?" Harry muttered. He wasn't sure what to feel. Disappointed, embarrassed, ashamed or awkward? Screw it. All of them. An unpleasant mix of horrible emotions, and one stood out the most. Regret.

"Yes." Josh answered, wondering how he managed to keep his voice calm and smooth. Especially in this situation. Harry's face flushed as Josh grabbed his hand. Their fingers slipped together perfectly. Josh wrapped his other arm around the other boy, a smile on his face.

"I love you too." And with that, their lips joined automatically.

-

holy shit that was awful. apologies for the late update, inspiration is rare. another apology for how rushed this was. i haven't edited it and probably will tomorrow due to the fact, that, oh, i dunno, it's 2 am? with school tomorrow as well.

to be honest that was the inspiration of this one shot. hence the insomnia thing. i hope you're reading this after it's been edited because otherwise this chapter will just be a mess of words.

hope you enjoyed this nonetheless, and if you did, please leave a vote and a comment, and follow me! thank you for reading this, and your amazing support!