|minizerk| colour

au where the world is black and white until you meet your soulmate. (not my idea)

---

josh.

   soulmates. soulmates are this complicated, beautiful thing that i simply cannot comprehend; my tiny human mind just can't wrap my head around the science behind it - if there even is a science behind it - the way it works and why. i don't have a single idea why it exists. but it does.

everything is black and white from the very second you first open your eyes, to the initial slightest of touch from your soulmate. you could be sitting right next to them and not even realise. people go insane over it, literally. they will travel the entire world in order to find the one. they'd do anything. i'm not sure what makes them so desperate to find their soulmates, maybe they're lonely or maybe they're sick from this monotone world without them.

others just don't care. perhaps they do care, but they're not as bothered as everyone else. like me.

it's not that i hate this: the fact that the love of your life is chosen for you, and there's no possible way of changing that. i don't get why it seems that the entire point of our lives is to find our soulmates. if that's the way it is, then things must be a bit dull for those who find each other early on. and those who never find each other.

i used to get jealous. of the people who'd meet without ever having to search. i'm sixteen but i've grown to realise that it just doesn't matter when you find them. it's about ever finding them in the first place.

whatever. everything is not about soulmates. there are so much other issues in this black and white world.

my main worry is my mother, however, i suppose that's about soulmates too. when you find that one person in your life, the person who lights up your entire world, paints in those blacks and whites and greys, it's the best feeling you'll ever have in your life right?

but my father died when i was young. as painful as it is to admit, i don't think my mother will ever recover from his death. she sees everything in black and white again and she probably thinks in black and white too. she shows no evidence of witnessing anything in colour.

colour. what a magical, entrancing thing. many wish to have it, but when my mother even thinks of it, she sinks even further into the grey world she's isolated in. she misses my father more than the luminosity of colour. you only get one soulmate.

maybe my parents are what made me think that the point of life on earth is not just to find your soulmate. maybe i'm wrong. who knows.

---

simon.

as a child, i wondered if it's just humans who are colourblind until they find their soulmate, or if animals and insects and everything else have it too. i still think about that now. and what if you find them but you don't get on? can you fall in love with someone else? i don't think that's possible. soulmates are simple. you find them and then you're no longer colourblind. there's no point in making it more complicated than it needs to be.

it's raining - hammering down, in fact - and despite the inconvenience of it all, the sound of it falling over the ground and washing over everything relaxes me. the car in front of me is driving too fast. just under the speed limit though. they must have somewhere they really need to be. whatever it is, it doesn't affect me either way.

repeated pop songs on the radio is inferior to nature's music. am i unusual, or is there someone else in the world who thinks too much like me? my soulmate? and here i am, thinking about overthinking. the rain does that to some people.