22.

It was interesting.

There were more eyes on me than normal. I could see some people whisper over it. Something like this had never been a big deal in the human realm. It raised my hackles as people watched us walk over to the school— all while they pretended not to stare.

"This is the most cool I've ever felt." Flo spoke softly as we started up the stairs. "Scandalous, even."

"You enjoy this... unashamed staring and whispers."

"Will this happen the entire day?" She ignored my question as she looked around. "It's fun for a while, but it gets uncomfortable."

I shrugged. "I have no idea. You've been here longer. You know how this place ticks better than me."

"Atleast we look cool in our jackets." She smiled happily, already distracted from the stares.

"You might have to keep it on. Tank tops are only allowed for Fire Elementals."

She paused. "Damn it. I knew I should have worn that other sleeveless shirt."

"I have an extra shirt in my locker if you want." I offered as we stopped by my locker.

"No, thank you. I've seen that shirt and I don't want to wear it."

I gasped and turnwd to face her cheeky smile. "Don't be rude! I keep it in case of emergencies! You should feel lucky a Fire Elemental is giving you their backup clothes considering the crisis several of them go through everyday."

She laughed as she placed a hand on her hip. "I've heard of stories where people go home half naked or worse."

"Oh, I've seen worse." I nodded distractedly and closed the locker with my helmet on it. "Rhaeya always keeps a few shirts from lost and found with her just in case. In my opinion, some of those shirts should have remained lost."

Flo rolled her eyes as I started to follow to her locker. "In my opinion, you have bad taste."

"Just because I dress like this in school, doesn't mean I dress like this on purpose. I just don't want to destroy my nice shirts."

"I'm terrified to see what you mean by nice shirts. The day of the Acknowledgement all you got was a  bomber jacket to wear over your tank."

"And I'm glad I did." I defended. "I'm pretty sure I saw someone's bodysuit go up in flames."

Flo choked softly. "How devastating!"

"Truly." Was my dry reply.

Flo knitted her brows and turned to me with the look of a lesson. "Do you think I don't get hidden sarcasm?"

I smirked, my arms went across my chest. "It wasn't meant to be hidden."

Flo punched me on the arm before she stomped off to her class. "Bye!" I laughed as I called out after her.

The rest of the day was filled with hushed whispers and poorly hidden stares whenever I walked into class. I started to enjoy it. It was refreshing after trying to be underground for so long. I'm pretty sure most of them recognised me because of the leather jacket and black boots I had to tote around all day.

When I saw Flo during recess, she seemed absolutely flustered. She shrugged her jacket off, before she flopped on the grass beside me. "Holy hell, it's so hot!"

"Is it?" I calmly asked. My back against the tree with the jacket beside me. "It's actually quite pleasant."

"I hate you."

"I'm your ride for the next few days."

"I kind of hate you."

"Sure." I laughed. "Besides you'll have to hitch a ride home with one of your training buddies. I've got-"