49.

My phone buzzed, the screen lighting up with Wafi’s contact name alter ego -  Max. I frowned in confusion as I accepted the call.

"Hey Max." I greeted easily. "What's up?"

Wafi laughed. "I really like it when you pick up the phone like that. Makes me feel like a friend and not like the nuisance you make me sound like."

"You are a friend, but you’re still a nuisance." I casually glanced around the bus, checking is anyone's listening in. "Why'd you call? I told you I'll be busy for a week or so."

"That's exactly why I called. Where are you guys?"

I shrugged, glancing out the window. "We're definitely heading downhill but apart from that, I have no idea."

"Did you pack enough clothes?"

"Yes, mom. I did." I rolled my eyes. "You know I have enough clothes for warm places."

"I know, but did you pack decent enough clothes?"

I was quiet for a few moment. "Depends on what you mean by decent." I replied, mind on the shirts, shorts, cropped tops, and tanks in my rucksack.

He was quiet for a while too. "I knew I should've shown up to help you pack."

I scowled at my phone. "Shut up. I've packed good enough clothes. We weren't told if the field trip is for relaxation or training, so I've packed clothes which can double as both."

"What about swimsuits?"

"What abou-" I cut myself off as I realised what he'd asked. "Why... Why swimsuits?" Wafi was quiet. "Max, do you know where we're going?" No reply. "Max, answer me."

Wafi laughed easily. "See you later, Fi."

"See m-Max, I swear..." I trailed off realising that he'd hung up on me

Suspicion intermingled with irritation in my belly as I rose from my seat and made my way to the front. Pushing some very rowdy classmates aside without a single apology, I plopped myself on the empty seat beside Rhaeya.

She looked me up and down in confusion and surprise. "Hey...?"

"Hey, Rhaeya." I gave her a momentary smile before getting straight to the point. "Where are we going?"

She cocked an eyebrow. "Why the sudden interest?"

"I'm bored." I lied easily as I slid down in the seat. "And I don't exactly run in Christine's circle."

Rhaeya chuckled, getting more comfortable with me. "I don't think anybody who still has hearing runs in Christine's circle."

I laughed with her. "So why did you assign her to me?"

"You never listen to me, so I figured foisting Christine on you would make everyone happy." I rolled my eyes as she laughed again. "Just kidding. It was a random draw. You're just unlucky."

"Really? You and your dad decide partners through random draws? How old are you two again?"

Rhaeya turned slightly red, whacking me on the knee. "I'm only twenty-seven!"

"Tell me where we're going!"I whined, getting back to the topic.

Rhaeya shook her head. "My lips are sealed."

I kept my eyes on her face as I spoke, crossing out options by watching her reaction. "A beachside resort? No... Cottage rentals? No... Hiking? Camping? Definitely no to that..." I was quiet for a while, staring at Rhaeya's smug expression as I tried to find any connections between the Royals and a field trip. "... Fire Regent's property?"