46.

Mich liked both the wreaths. He hung the traditional one on the garage door because we don't have a backdoor. Our back-door led to the pool, it didn’t count, according to him. What I didn't like was him rifling through my room while I was gone in search of his presents. I found him trying to pick the lock on a suitcase I'd stashed under my bed when I returned.

He gave me a sheepish smile as he looked up. "I was... I was looking for the fairy lights."

"They're in the attic." I growled, my eyes narrowed. "Did you just send me on a fool's errand so you can search for your presents?"

Mich's eyes flickered to the bags in my hand and he stood up. "Aah, wreaths!" He took the bag from me as he brushed past. "What took you so long? Jeez, I'd just asked for a wreath."

"And then you'd ask for baubles, an angel, eggnog. I know you." I relaxed, and let the anger pass. "It's a holiday tradition with you."

He threw me a smile over his shoulder as he descended the stairs. "You know me so well."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll be in my room... hiding my presents again." I mumbled the end to myself as soon as he was out of earshot. I'd wanted to hide them in the attic but he'd have looked there first. We usually split the chores during the time he was here to give us both some rest for the weekend. He went where I went. I needed a better place to hide his presents. I'd been up late packaging them. There's no way he'd touch those before D-Day.

"By the way,—" Mich yelled from below once more. It made me pause as I closed the door "—Wafi called. He's coming for dinner tomorrow. He said he's got presents."

I stiffened where I was before I forced myself to walk downstairs. I had to look Mich in the eye when I spoke. "Why?"

Mich frowned and kept the carton down. "What do you mean 'why'? He's your brother."

"But I don't want to see him." I scowled.

Mich sighed. He knew about the fight we'd had on the phone. "If you won't pick up his calls, or reply to his texts, you know he'll show up here."

"But I don't want him to show up anywhere! His showing up is the entire reason I'm having to deal with all this shit."

"Fiera, he's your brother." He pushed, irritated by the same fight we'd had before.

"So, tell him to stay at the palace! I'm pretty sure they can exchange presents there." I huffed.

"Are you worried he's going to get you more expensive stuff?" His brow smoothed out with amusement.

I paused as that thought crossed my mind. "Now I am."

Mich sighed. He shook his head as he chuckled. "You're siblings. I'd be more surprised if you didn't fight. It'll be okay, Fi. He just cares about you, maybe he gets out of hand at times."

"'at times'- He never listens to me." I spoke like a petulant teen. I knew how whiny I sounded.

Mich smiled. "Hey, it's okay. All brothers are like that. Besides, he doesn't want to see you suffer more than you already do."

I looked away from his soft, grey eyes. "Doesn't make me any less angry."

"Or his actions any less wrong." Mich added. "Come on. The cookies have cooled down."

Despite Mich's upbeat mood and correct words, I couldn't help my mood souring as Wafi's time of approach grew closer. He was punctual as usual, driving up at almost exactly six. Dressed light, a simple full-sleeve button-down over light wash jeans and a black jacket.

I made sure I sported an annoyed look as I opened the door. It wasn't that hard to do since I was already considerably pissed at him.

"Hey." He greeted, a wide smile on his face as I opened the door.